Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a dynamically extruded family

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
15599 Views, 10 Replies

How to create a dynamically extruded family

Hi,

I want to create a custom family in Revit MEP 2012.
The family graphical behavior should be like conduit Or cable tray.

which means it should extrude dynamically along the cursor while creating instance in the project file.

How to achive this? which template we need to use?

Thanks

TM

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Anonymous

You cannot create families that have dynamic input - Conduit and Cable Tray are System Families with that hard-coded behavior. The best you can do is create a Reference Plane in your family, constrain one end to the plane, and create a dimension linked to an Instance Parameter. This will enable click-and-drag functionality.

InstanceLength.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Hi CADastrophe,

Thanks for your solution. I tried it.

It works in 2D plane(Level). But it is not working in 3D view.

In 3D view if I drag the one end the object instance,  the whole object is moving.

Thanks,

TM

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

In the old days before tray and conduit were system families, you could create sweep type families using the line based family template. This meant that you could create a profile in the family and when loaded it would allow stretching using grips, like a pipe and tray.

I use this template to create geometry for Busbars seeing as Autodesk has neglected to consider this, even in a rudimentary form, in Revit MEP. Hopefully someone in Autodesk will twig that many installations around the world use Busbars as a primary distribution method rather than chunky cables!

Message 5 of 11
CoreyDaun

Start with a Line-Based template, as julianjameson8403 said. My Revit MEP 2012 only has this for Detail Components and Generic Models, but it's easy to change the Category afterwards. This will function as you wish, and even stretches in 3D Views.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Hi,

I have created the sweep type family using generic model line based template.

Still it shows grips and stretchable in 2D plan in project.

But in 3D view it does not show grips and unstretchable.

I have attached the image and family for your reference.

Thanks.

TM

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

You can't use the grips in 3D but if you notice there is a temporary dimension which if you use the grips on that then it will adjust the length of the line based family.

Message 8 of 11
CoreyDaun

First off, ignore the instructions I gave in my first reply - using a Line based family defeats that.

You have to make use of the Reference Plane that is already created in the template. You cannot delete the Length dimension or the right Reference Plane.

There is an easy way to create your Sweep, which must start at the origin plane and be constrained to the right plane. When you choose the Sketch Path, you can pick the Reference Line that is already drawn in the template, which already has all the necessary constraints.

I have revised and attached your family - see if this works for you.

You get special grips that also appear in 3D Views:

LineStretch.JPG

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Hi  julianjameson8403,  CADastrophe,

GREAT, Thanks for your replies.

I hope it will serve my purpose.

Thanks,

TM

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Hi,

I need to draw this family instance in a 3D spline.

So I need to bend this family when required.

Is it possible in this family OR any other alternative method is there to achive?

Regards,

TM

Message 11 of 11
CoreyDaun

Refer to this thread...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators