Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect pipes with 'custom piping system type' to pipe connectors?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
moe.ski.moe
894 Views, 2 Replies

How to connect pipes with 'custom piping system type' to pipe connectors?

Hello,

Problem:

In my project i created unique piping system types so that i can apply separate material looks (red/blue/etc)

I have some 'mechanical equipment familes' with 'pipe connectors'. When i created these 'pipe connectors' in families, i could only select the default Piping System types:

So the problem is that when in the project i draw a pipe from the 'mechanical equipment's pipe connector, it'll have a fixed 'piping system type' which i can't change to my custom system type.

And when i try to connect that pipe to my pipe with 'custom system type', it'll overwrite it and change it to 'sanitary' or something so i lose the 'red/blue' material.

Any idea how to overcome this? Maybe is it possible to create some shared parameter for my custom system type so that i use it in the family as well for the pipe connectors?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
iainsavage
in reply to: moe.ski.moe

You are getting confused between Pipe Systems and System Classifications.

What you have created are Pipe Systems but these will each behave according to their Classification.

As far as I know you cannot create custom Classifications.

For example you could have several types of heating pipe systems and also chilled water systems but they are all going to be Classification hydronic supply or hydronic return.

In order to connect your custom systems to the equipment the connector classifications on the pipes and on the equipment should match.

If you want red Sanitary pipes then duplicate the standard Sanitary system, call it anything that you like and edit the system graphic overrides.
When you work away from the equipment connector you are correct that the pipe may inherit the native system type which matches the connector classification but you can then change that pipe’s properties to any other system of the same classification e.g. change Sanitary to MyDrainageSystem or change Hydronic Supply to MyHeatingFlow or whatever.

Be aware that pipe systems behave hydraulically according to their system classification so using the correct classification is vital when it comes to performing pipe sizing and pressure loss calculations etc - again remember the “I” in BIM and don’t focus solely on graphics.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/P...

Message 3 of 3
moe.ski.moe
in reply to: moe.ski.moe

Oh, it is clear now!

Thank you very much!!

Yeah when i created my 'custom piping system', i duplicated the existing ones randomly, like one was Domestic Cold Water, other was Sanitary etc, and for the pipe connectors i always used 'fitting'

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators