Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to change the Associated Level

55 REPLIES 55
SOLVED
Message 1 of 56
Anonymous
193517 Views, 55 Replies

how to change the Associated Level

Capture.JPG

55 REPLIES 55
Message 41 of 56
iainsavage
in reply to: Dirk77

"I find your suggestions just as much workarounds simply because they aren't as streamlined"

Using scope boxes to set crop regions is not a workaround and in fact I find it to be very streamlined. Use shift-select or ctrl-select in the project browser to grab a batch of views, apply the same scope box to all in one go. Easy.

If every floor in the building is the same, model one, copy all to clipboard, paste aligned to selected levels or views. Easy.

Set the view range in your template with bottom at associated level and top at level above, with or without an offset. Easy.

If you need to, due to different areas/buildings on the same site, change the "level above" setting for each level. You can do this in a Levels schedule. Easy.

Only add or copy/monitor principle levels (floors and roofs). For anything else use reference planes. Easy.

Set the filters for your view template in your project template. Then you don't need to transfer them every time. Easy.

Not workarounds. Just using the software as it was intended to be used by the programmers.

But I suppose we will never agree on this so that's my last word on the subject.

Message 42 of 56
soheil.sepehri
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks!

Message 43 of 56
egorUMWM3
in reply to: Anonymous

The issue with redoing things is sometimes you are really far into the design process and you have a shift of building height due to an unforeseen constraint. In my case i am working on a design build project, and things are literally shifting on site as i wrap up the drawings. 

My drawings are nearly done, that is: dimensioned, tagged, referenced other views, ramps labeled, tagged, text placed etc. All this takes time and adjusting 6 views by redoing them is  3 hours i dont have on a tight budget. If we had the feature to change the associated level, the versatility would greatly improve the agility of the software. 
Yes it shouldn't be easily done on a whim, but i would argue that this is a very necessary feature. 

Give people the ability and let THEM deal with the consequences if they screw up something in the project. 

I guess i'll get started on redoing my work... 

EDIT: I will do a patch job with a Plan Region.. a workaround, but will get this done.. :S

Message 44 of 56
iainsavage
in reply to: egorUMWM3

It sounds as though you need to move the levels in your model rather than changing the associated level for objects.

Message 45 of 56

"with people that don't do any project planning or coordinate their work with each other."

This very sentence is WHAT IM PAID to do. ITS THE EXCACT JOB that the program is designed for. You admitting the one program that has gatekept the industry isn't even suited for the JOB its designed for. - Sentence removed due to ground rule violations -  Look at unreal engine 5 and look at how elementary and disabled it makes Revit and autodesk products seem. There is no excuses in 2023. - Sentence removed due to ground rule violations -

@tyler_heinrich7 post has been adjusted due to ground rule violations. Please review and stick to the ground rules.

Message 46 of 56

As this is the only choice. So they don't care.

Message 47 of 56

@SteveKStafford 's point was, in response to a specific fantasy scenario, that before jumping into a Revit model (or any other form of document production including using pen & paper) someone should plan some fundamental factors such as who controls level settings and naming etc. rather than any number of users randomly creating levels all over the place with various different naming conventions.

If that's the way that the project is "managed" then there are far bigger problems for that team than just how Revit handles associated level settings and, if anything, it reinforces Steve's prediction of the kind of chaos that would occur if you gave such users the ability to reassign the associated level of the views.

PS: if your including me in the "dumbass developer apologists" group then I am NOT at any time apologising for Autodesk, they can paddle their own canoe and speak for themselves - I just prefer to find ways of making the software work for me rather than whining about anything that I don't like.

Message 48 of 56

I see your point. But acting like god saying that every project here by be managed perfectly is complete nonsense and dodges a FUNDUMENTAL aspect of the entire program and what we do as designers/engineers. Dodging accountability goes against the engineering code of ethics in the first place. We are being herded like sheep by programmers without any due diligence or concern for the users of their program. It took until 2022. YES 2022 to duplicate sheets. What the ****?  Everyone and their mother inside of MY engineering firm could be as perfect as possible. Absolute flawless robots eliminating all human error. Being able to predict the future of any project years ahead. BUTTTT there are STILL then LOTs of other pieces to the puzzle!! You act like anyone only ever works with one client ever. So many different linked models are changed throughout the design process. On every single job I have worked on. We work at a national level... I don't choose how every project I tackle has major changes to 100,000-500,000 sq ft buildings all the way through CD submissions! 

You know who has the ability to choose to make things easier for the consumers of the industry they monopolize?? Its not Jesus Christ.. 

It's the developers of the program. 

Message 49 of 56

BIM Execution Plan

BIM Manager

Lead Consultant

Project Coordinator

Schedule of deliverables.

Outline sheet list.

Things to consider and implement BEFORE you mess up views so badly that you need to re-associate their levels.

You make a lot of assumptions regarding my experience and the types/sizes of project that I've worked on, none of which is relevant to this topic.

"acting like God" - where did you get that from?

"dodging accountability" - exactly the opposite. Take personal responsibility for planning and setting up ypur project.

"You act like anyone only ever works with one client ever" - don't think I did and in fact throughout my career (nearly 40 years) I've never had the luxury of only working on one project or for one client, and again I don't understand the relevence of that statement.

"So many different linked models are changed throughout the design process" - yes but setting fundamentals like the number of floor levels should be worked out at the start of the project, most likley by the Architect, and then they may be tweaked but are rarely radically altered - and if say a mezzanine floor was later inserted between two main floors then the software can handle that using view ranges, plan regions etc so again there should be no need to move views to different floor levels. Also for best practice it would be usual to copy/monitor the Architect's (or Lead Consultant's) levels rather than inventing your own.

As a chartered engineer I think I know about ethics and responsibilities too.

Again, I'm NOT making excuses for Autodesk. I just use the software.

Maybe it would help if you could describe the specific real world situation that brought you to this post and maybe someone could then assist you in finding a solution or workaround for that real world problem rather than dealing with hypothetical situations.

Maybe try to avoid the using all those asterisks as well, that stuff might be okay on social media but its not very polite to "swear" on this professional forum.

Message 50 of 56
RobDraw
in reply to: tyler_heinrich7

@tyler_heinrich7 wrote:

acting like god saying that every project here by be managed perfectly is complete nonsense and dodges a FUNDUMENTAL aspect of the entire program and what we do as designers/engineers. Dodging accountability goes against the engineering code of ethics in the first place. We are being herded like sheep by programmers without any due diligence or concern for the users of their program.

You sound like lots of frustrated Revit users that have been "forced" into working on poorly managed projects. (BTW, you didn't spell fundamental correctly. That in itself is hilarious because you got on your high horse and spewed a bunch a hogwash.) Sorry, but blaming the program for not being able to handle a poorly managed project is just passing the buck. It also is not what this forum is about. We are users helping users. Your opinions about the product belong elsewhere. Attacking the people with valid advice is not only bad form, it's also against the rules. You might want to think about rewording your post into something that resembles professionalism.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 51 of 56
Tarek_K

This is an old thread, and I remind as the current discussions flow, to keep new questions to a new topic in the forum and, in general, be compliant with the community ground rules to avoid further moderation actions following as a result of violating them. 

You found a post helpful? Then feel free to give likes to these posts!
Your question got successfully answered? Then just click on the 'Mark as solution' button. 

Tarek Khodr
Community Manager

Message 52 of 56
tyler_heinrich7
in reply to: RobDraw

It's hard to keep grammar perfect (like a flawless robot) when I'm extremely ****ing pressed cramming deadlines like I've been doing on jobs for years and years straight now. Every day. No breaks. Zero vacation. Just scraping by. So that someone like you (ofc not on your high horse) can come invalidate the experiences of someone that uses the program non stop for 9 hours a day. Must be my jobs exclusively--and nearly every one of them. I haven't had even 2 hours net time at work to sit back and think for years because I'm too busy doing 2 mans worth of work engineering PLUS trouble shooting REVIT for 4 hours a day even doing simple things like CONNECTING ONE DUCT TO ANOTHER. Or maybe its waiting seconds every time I adjust a detail line, create one, move any entity, create any entity. My brain works 10x faster than the program, so I have to sit there thinking each and every thought 5 times for every action while I wait for the archic program. It is mentally exhausting. Hard to keep ONE straight train of thought. I'm burnt out. I don't even want to be an engineer anymore. Amazing that one program could destroy my urge for creative design.

The industry has ever increasing demands and deadlines, yet they want more done quicker--With a program that make things SLOWER and I mean everything like i said above. Remember the days of drawing a line and the program doing it at the speed of your mouse and clicks? Forget it.

Something HAS to give. You should do yourself a favor and talk to the designers that pull the heavy loads on your projects in revit and you might get some more insight rather than dismissing me!!

Message 53 of 56
tyler_heinrich7
in reply to: RobDraw

What would you like, professionalism, or a project being completed. -Sentence removed due to ground rule violations-

***@tyler_heinrich7 post has been adjusted due to ground rule violations. Please review and stick to the ground rules.***

Message 54 of 56

You are living in a fantasy land with architects that set up "rules" to stick by at the start. That IS what is supposed to happen. Reality is that nothing is set in stone. If that's exclusive to my experience and not to yours, then I CANNOT begin to express how blessed you are. 

Message 55 of 56

@tyler_heinrich7  schrieb:

You are living in a fantasy land  

No, I'm not. I'm talking from experience.

This post has got way off topic and the moderator has advised that it be parked.

Going back to the end of my previous post, are you able to explain what specific issue you are facing that requires you to re-associate the levels associated to your views (which is the actual topic of this post) and motivated you to search out this post in the first place? Maybe we can help you to solve or work around that issue.

Maybe as suggested by @Tarek_K you should start a new post regarding your particular problem with levels/views.

PS: you are not unique in having a stressful life in the construction industry. Me and just about everyone I've worked with has suffered similarly due to impossible deadlines, lack of staff etc, and I feel your pain, but insulting the people who are trying to help you (people who have no connection to Autodesk and who help on this forum for free) is not the best way forward.

Message 56 of 56
mackenzie_smith7CP82

Comments have been turned off by the moderation team as this is an old thread and a solution has been provided and accepted.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators