Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horizontal justification pipes/ducts

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
francesca.duffizi
317 Views, 5 Replies

Horizontal justification pipes/ducts

Hi, I need to understand the way the horizontal justification for pipes/round ducts is intended: I expect it to behave like the Wall Location Line when I set up a value BEFORE modelling the component. Everything works fine if the Horizontal Justification remains "Center", as soon you change both Vertical and Horizontal Justification I get a strange behaviour I do not understand: pipes/ducts are translated from the supposed location line.

I attach here a basic file: the red lines are supposed to be the border of the pipes/ducts which should stay "outer" the red lines. Horizontal Justification is set to "Left", the 3 scenarios show the result when the Vertical Justification is "Center"/"Top"/"Bottom" (1strow are pipes, 2nd rectangular ducts, 3rd round ducts).

When a Top/Bottom Justification is set the pipes/round duct are intersecting the red lines, of a value I cannot understand (seems not related to the internal nor the external dimensions of pipes/ dimensions of ducts). Rectangular ducts are correct.

Sample.PNG

Summarizing, for rounded sections if the Horizontal Justification is Center, both Center/Top/Bottom Vertical Justification work as expected; the problem arrives when you have also a Left/Right Horizontal Justification.

Can someone suggest me a way to understand such behaviour?

Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I don't fully understand the question but:-

Left justification aligns the outside of the left wall of the pipe with the cursor location when placing:

iainsavage_0-1687958147114.png

and places the connectors on the left side, outside of pipe wall:

iainsavage_1-1687958216040.png

Changing the justification moves the connector position:

iainsavage_2-1687958295845.png

Is this what you are asking?

Message 3 of 6

Hi, this is exactly what I expected. But I found out (you can see the rvt attached to the original post) that as soon there is also a different Vertical Justification (Top or Bottom) the pipe/round duct is not aligned to the cursor location. There is a deviation from the line following the cursor click (19mm for the pipe, 44 for the duct in my sample file).

I would like to understand what regulates that deviation.

Can you reproduce my findings with both Vertical and Horizontal justification?

Message 4 of 6

It seems to be the midpoint of a quarter arc, as if the pipe/duct has been rotated 45 degrees.

iainsavage_0-1687973784779.png

iainsavage_1-1687973860894.png

I have no idea why, it might actually be, .......wait for it.........., a bug (and you won't often hear me saying that).

I suggest that you notify Autodesk via product feedback or raise a support ticket if it is adversely affecting your workflow.

Message 5 of 6

(Fun?) Fact: This behavior is only on round duct/pipe. Oval follows the interpretation of following the bounds of a similarly dimensioned rectangular duct:

robert2JCCH_0-1687989467906.png

I'd love to get a fabricator's perspective on this, I'm just an armchair guy.

Message 6 of 6

@iainsavage 

Hi, I've got news about this behaviour...thanks to @fabiosato! 

Essentially when you apply justification on pipes and ducts, Revit projects the direction on the element, so when you apply both Vertical and Horizontal justification on round components the result is a point at 45° on the edge of the solid. Not so obviuos to think about, but logic anyway.

@robert2JCCH For oval ducts it results in the external point because of the section of the ducts: oval is got by a rectangle chamfered with archs on the 4 edges, so it considers the rect segments between the archs and projecting the justification lines on the section you get exactly the bounding box point.

Happy to share, never ending learning something new!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report