Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filters don't have the parameter I need

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
JesseMayes
1153 Views, 8 Replies

Filters don't have the parameter I need

My engineers asked me to make a parameter on some of our lighting fixtures to designate whether or not it's an exterior light, so that it can be filtered out of future lighting calculations. I created the parameter you see in image A. When I load the light back into the project to create the filter on the view template, the parameter "Exterior Lighting" that I created is not on the list of things I can filter out (image B). 

Did I do the parameter wrong? What am I missing?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: JesseMayes

If you added the parameter to the families then it needs to be a shared parameter in order to appear in a schedule in the project. 

Alternately, you don't add parameter in the family but add it directly in the project schedule as a type parameter.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
JesseMayes

That's interesting.

I ended up creating a shared parameter in the Family, the reloading it into my project. Unfortunately, that new shared parameter also did not show up on my view filter. 

Does the shared parameter need to be created in the project file and not in the family file? 

Message 4 of 9
ToanDN

@JesseMayes wrote:

That's interesting.

I ended up creating a shared parameter in the Family, the reloading it into my project. Unfortunately, that new shared parameter also did not show up on my view filter. 

Does the shared parameter need to be created in the project file and not in the family file? 

My sincere apology.  I thought you needed to add the parameter to filter in a schedule. 

Since you need to create the view filter in a View Template, you do need to add the parameter directly to the project  parameters and assign it to the applicable category.  It can be either shared parameter or non-shared parameter.

Toan Nguyen
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
JesseMayes

Hmmm... how does one do that though? Look at the image I uploaded. When I go to Edit Type on the light, it doesn't give me the ability to add any new parameters (shared or otherwise).

Message 6 of 9
ToanDN

@JesseMayes wrote:

Hmmm... how does one do that though? Look at the image I uploaded. When I go to Edit Type on the light, it doesn't give me the ability to add any new parameters (shared or otherwise).

ToanDN_0-1631907893126.png

Toan Nguyen

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
JesseMayes

Gotcha, thanks for the help! Is there any way to transfer this project parameter into other projects? And will this project parameter be instance-specific to all lighting fixture families or a shared type parameter?

Message 8 of 9
ToanDN

@JesseMayes wrote:

Gotcha, thanks for the help! Is there any way to transfer this project parameter into other projects? And will this project parameter be instance-specific to all lighting fixture families or a shared type parameter?

You can Transfer Project Standards > Project Parameters to bring it in another project.  You can even copy paste a schedule with that parameter added from one project to another and it will transfer.  For the long run and consistency, I recommend to add it to your projects as a Shared Parameter.

Toan Nguyen

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
JesseMayes

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report