Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fill Pattern vs. Solid Fill - opaque when turned off in VG Override

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
bjlottis
371 Views, 9 Replies

Fill Pattern vs. Solid Fill - opaque when turned off in VG Override

Here's an interesting one that I'm wondering if there's any workaround. 

We're linking in the architect's model that has a solid fill region to show Not In Scope, and a diagonal hatch fill region to show something else. As you can see they're both transparent.

bjlottis_0-1721854147100.png

But if you turn off the pattern visibility in the VG Override, the hatch pattern goes opaque and the solid fill remains transparent.

bjlottis_1-1721854193296.png

bjlottis_2-1721854226270.png

I can't really use a view filter because the linked model is set to By Linked View.

Any ideas? Is there something the architect can maybe do so that the pattern fill doesn't hide everything?

Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
curtisridenour
in reply to: bjlottis

Yeah I cant think of anything. This is exactly the reason I avoid the By Linked View option as much as possible. Being at the mercy of another firm for the visibility settings of your views always seems to end up like this.

Can you copy and paste the filled regions from the arch model or trace them?

What are the patterns set to in the ARCH model for the foreground and background?

Is the by linked view mostly so you can see the Fire Rated walls on your plans by chance or is it for the filled regions?
Message 3 of 10
bjlottis

Here are the answers to the questions from the previous post:

1. Yes we could copy the architect's filled regions and place them in our model. 
  2. The solid filled region is set to Foreground Pattern. And we asked the arch to set the Diagonal hatch to Background Pattern thinking it would be an easy way for to turn it off. 
  3. The architect is using several view filters to show the rated walls I was hoping to not have to recreated them in all our views. We'd also like to see only the solid filled region.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 10
tim.ingle

Hi @bjlottis, you could override the Detail Item Model Category in the linked model overrides to have a Transparency of 100%. This obviously would affect all Filled Regions, but it would ensure that they are no longer Masking.

Message 5 of 10
bjlottis
in reply to: tim.ingle

Yeah, I tried that. But it also makes the solid filled region transparent which we would like to see. 

I'm still intrigued why the diagonal fill pattern is transparent when displayed, but opaque when set to not displayed.

Message 6 of 10
curtisridenour

I understand. This makes more sense now.
Message 7 of 10
curtisridenour

Without the two models i am having a hard time recreating your exact conditions. I think you may be onto something with having the ARCH model change the filled region for diagonal down not having a solid filled for its background pattern.

I would duplicate the arch model and mess around with it until you can get it the way you need it. Then i would ask ARCH to see if they can do you a solid by making the adjustment.

As you stated, the View Filters you do not have control over as a By Linked View. I have a suspicion their transparency and overrides for the regions lie in there.
Message 8 of 10
curtisridenour

One thing you might try is setting the ARCH model as an underlay. The filled region may not mask over the ARCH content if you do so.

This may apply a half tone to the ARCH content though via the project-wide setting for Underlays. But if you are not using Underlays for halftone already, you can turn that off if desired. But it may have unintended results.

curtisridenour_0-1722267271497.png

Message 9 of 10
bjlottis

I downloaded a copy of the architect's model. Here are their settings for the diagonal fill pattern. Note that there's no foreground pattern and masking is unchecked. Also, it doesn't matter what color the foreground color is set to. The mystery mask is always white. 

And this masking happens in their model, not just in the linked view in ours. 

bjlottis_3-1722271221297.png

Background Pattern on

bjlottis_4-1722271246015.png

Background pattern off

bjlottis_5-1722271261981.png

Message 10 of 10
curtisridenour

Are their any sneaky View Filters applied to detail items in the Arch view you are using for By Linked View?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report