Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical wiring

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
eriktoom
386 Views, 7 Replies

Electrical wiring

Hey, not sure I can describe my situation in detail but I'll give it try. 

I have created my own electrical fixtures with proper symbols (symbols made up of detail items and are placed inside electrical fixtures family). Everything is working fine but when it comes to wiring it does have some annoying issues. 

So depending on the way I drag my wire it acts differently (see pictures with comments).

The first situation is described on the picture below:

eriktoom_0-1641473981262.png

The second situation is described on the picture below:

eriktoom_1-1641473588810.png

I just want to know what causes that. It seems like the symbol is blocking the wire path or cutting it off just before it. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
djforemandesign
in reply to: eriktoom

I'm not 100% sure this will answer your question, but you might read through this post.

Solved: wire ends don't 'mask' - Autodesk Community - Revit Products

It mentions nested detail items can cause issues. 

Message 3 of 8
eriktoom

It seems not. Originally the symbols are made in autocad and then imported to detail items family. I will attach the electrical fixture, maybe it is more helpful. 

Message 4 of 8
djforemandesign

I don't know exactly what is causing the wires to behave like that, but from what I can tell it has something to do with your detail item in the family.

I have attached a couple of GIFs. The first one I use your family and try to automatically draw the wire and I get the result that you first showed. Then I try it again, but first delete your symbol and the wire attaches to the box. 

The second one I use the OOTB duplex. This appears to give you the result that you are looking for. The wire connects to the curve of the symbol. 

8432A6E4-E152-473F-BB32-B9F923B8D14F.GIF

390E0E5F-9AA5-4AFB-B03F-E1035DD9C900.GIF

Message 5 of 8
eriktoom

I cannot understand actually. What do you mean by OOTB Duplex?

Message 6 of 8
djforemandesign

The out of the box family that comes with the Revit Libraries.

Message 8 of 8
ebsoares

Revit is trying to be smart and avoid overwrites for you. It will stop drawing the wire at the first sign of something drawn in your symbol.

Think of it this way: if you were to draw an outline to your entire fixture symbol, going all around "hugging" the symbol itself, now think of that outline as a "fence" - the wire will not cross over this fence to get "inside".

Hope that helps 😊

Edgar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators