Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

doing a text or tag search in revit

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
50589 Views, 14 Replies

doing a text or tag search in revit

One of the handiest things in ACAD was the ability to do a simple search. I used it all the time for things like looking for duplicate room numbers. Click on the "abc" button and go. How do I handle this in Revit? This would be useful for searching out space tags, diffuser tag info etc.

Thanks,

Rick

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Anonymous

There is a Find/Replace function on the Annotate tab, but it works for Text Elements only.

In order to find the elements that have a particular Parameter Value (the one reported by the Tag), you will have to use a Schedule. Create a new Schedule, include the desired Parameter as a Field, and then use the Filter to isolate a particular value. Then if you click on the line of data (there should only by one), use the "Highlight in Model" button in the ribbon to select all of the elements with that parameter value. A lot of work compared to AutoCAD, which CAN search attribute values.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks, not much easy about revit

Message 4 of 15
Luke-RA

Can \Autodesk fix this limited functionality please??? - this is very frustrating when working with large commercial specifications and projects at construction (please add a simple CTRL+F and filter where it searches!)

Message 5 of 15
kwoodBJKPP
in reply to: Luke-RA

Thank you! this is a crucial function

Message 6 of 15
iainsavage
in reply to: kwoodBJKPP

I generally think using schedules and Highlight in Model is better than the Find command in Autocad, especially when trying to find objects which could be anywhere in the 3D model.

The example given by the OP was to find duplicate numbers.

Firstly Revit issues a Duplicate Mark warning if you create two object with the same number.

Secondly a sorted schedule will easily show up any duplicates and then using Highlight in Model you are taken straight to the offending object which is now selected for you ready for editing.

It’s a different way of working but its very effective compared to jumping around an Autocad drawing using the Find Next option under the Find command.

First thing I was told by a professional trainer on our introduction to Revit course was to forget what we used to do in Autocad and learn how to do things the Revit way.

Message 7 of 15
ASOL89GEY

How do you search in Linked files though (when not using spaces, but Architect's room)?

Message 8 of 15
fabiosato
in reply to: ASOL89GEY

Hello,

Yoou can create an schedule that include elements from links.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
ASOL89GEY
in reply to: fabiosato

Hi Fabio. Nice to hear from you.

Yeah, I have the schedule created, and I see the Architect's rooms...

But when I select a room from the schedule, It doesn't show on floor plan (like with spaces)

I don't want to create spaces yet. Too early to be spinning my wheels =).

Any tips?

Message 10 of 15
ASOL89GEY
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yes, A LOT of work....

and it doesn't work if the element you are searching for is in a link =(

Message 11 of 15
fabiosato

Hello,

Just to confirm, are your levels on the same height as the architecture ones?

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
iainsavage

If, as the original post, you are searching for duplicate numbers to edit them then there would  be no point in doing that with a linked file because you can’t edit the data in the link.

You would have to open and search in the linked file instead.

Message 13 of 15
ASOL89GEY
in reply to: iainsavage

But it doesn't work for linked elements. Does it?

Message 14 of 15
iainsavage

Are you just using it as a tool to find objects in the linked file rather than editing them? 
The OP’s post implied that they were using it as a way of finding and eliminating duplicates which you obviously cannot do with a linked file because the only way to edit the data in the link is to work directly in the link file.

Message 15 of 15
ASOL89GEY

Justas a a tool to find rooms.

I DON'T want to create Spaces yet... we are too early in the project.

I just want to go to the Arch Room Schedule (which I created in my model),

I can see the elements and find them in a schedule, but they don't highlight in the model

(because it is an element from a link, and not my model)... =(

I can create a PDF and search it and it would be faster than any of the "options" I see...

It is just so frustrating that the answer is always "bluebeam", "export to excel", "dynamo", etc...

Anyway, thanks for the reply 😃

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report