Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Designing Cable trays and Cables.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
warrentdo
2068 Views, 9 Replies

Designing Cable trays and Cables.

What is the best method to design Cable trays, and then populate them with Cables?

I know there are multiple products that can do this, but what are you guys using?

Size wise im thinking of something quite substantial. Part of a process plant for example. 

Regards

Warren.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
hmunsell
in reply to: warrentdo

@warrentdo wrote:

I know there are multiple products that can do this...

i don't know of any add-on that will add the cables. Typically you don't show the cables that are actually in the cable trays in Revit. Just like Revit doesn't show 3D wiring in electrical models. you can place conduit, but not actual wires. 

As far as the cable trays, Revit has Ladder and Trough types. The Wire basket and Solid Bottom types are variants of the Trough typ. there are 3rd party families that can be downloaded and used for Wire Basket, with all the framing modeled. But those add a lot of overhead to the model and can effect your model performance. 

Capture.JPG

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
warrentdo
in reply to: hmunsell

Hello Hmunsell,

Thank you for your information.

Would you say that Revit will accommodate all your cable trays requirements from planning to manufacturing? vertical / horizontal etc?

I'm also trying to find a workflow that would best suit the cable placement?

If not Revit do you know of anything that would work with the Revit cable trays in fulfilling cable management?

Regards,

Warren.

Message 4 of 10
s.borello

Revit doesn't do 3d wire or cable, you would have to use a work around to get that modeled... maybe flex duct?  I don't show that level of detail in my models, sometimes I may use conduits though.  I use RVT OOTB tray families, I believe you can take it to fabrication level if you wish.  

Message 5 of 10
hmunsell

@warrentdo wrote:

Would you say that Revit will accommodate all your cable trays requirements from planning to manufacturing? vertical / horizontal etc?

We have not had any issues using the out of the box cable tray content.  We do not do any manufacturing/fabrication, but as @s.borello said, I believe there are fabrication components built in to Revit you can use for that.

I'm also trying to find a workflow that would best suit the cable placement?

As far as showing cables in the tray... I would ask Why? what is the purpose of showing physical cables in a tray? if its for Detailing, draw the extra linework as detail lines in the detail view. 

Howard Munsell
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
warrentdo

Hello, in the true content of BIM and the digital twin surely everything should be captured within reason? If the asset is important then it should be included. We think that the cable element would be important. We do have other software to capture this (currently aveva based) but I'm looking at an Autodesk solution. Clicking the cable in the aim could show line item number and associated data. It would be also be useful for cable tray loading, making sure that they all fit in. Could also be used for calculating quantities of cable. Lots of reason.

Regards

Warren.

Message 7 of 10
hmunsell

Ahhh, the Digital Twin.... LOL... We have been looking into that a little as well. Currently, I think showing intelligent cabling in 3D in Revit for that purpose is expecting a little too much, at this point. 

Revit has never modeled intelligent cable.  you can circuit the elements so you know where the cable is coming from and going to.  But there is no function in Revit to actually model the cabling.  the closest thing currently would be the Edit Path tool once you have somthing circuited.  But.... it will not "model" the cable. 

its hard to see in the example below, but but the blue line connecting the receptacles together and then to the panel is the Cable Path. in theory, you could modify that to follow a cable tray run.  but again, it would not be modeled.

Capture.JPG

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
warrentdo

Hello, so if not Revit what other options does Autodesk have to offer?

Just looking for posabilities.

Regards,

Warren.

Message 9 of 10
hmunsell

for modeling intelligent cables in 3D.... I don't think there is one. Maybe AutoCAD Electrical but I don't think it will do cabling either, just circuiting. maybe someone else knows of somthing. sorry I could be more help on that :-(. 

maybe somthing for the Ideas Forum.

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
hmunsell

if you don't mind the "Cabling" not be intelligent, you could use Conduit or Flex Pipe/Duct as I think @s.borello mentioned earlier. You could also use a standard Sweep Extrusion along the cable tray path. But they will have no circuit or wire information unless you make parameters and input them in manually. 

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators