Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom ribbon for dummies

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1372 Views, 3 Replies

Custom ribbon for dummies

Hi All!

Can someone explain is there a way to customize ribbon inside Revit? For instance, that you are able to rename panel, or remove some of the icons?!

Untitled.jpg

Best regards, Branimir

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rudi.roux
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Hope you are well! Smiley Happy

There are a few options, but all are pretty limited actually. Have a look at THIS ARTICLE AND VIDEO which will run through available options. 

This might give you some flexibility, but for the most part, the names and panel displays are "built-in". 

I hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: rudi.roux

And there is no way to edit that? Not even to edit add-ins ribbon to suit my needs?

Best regards, Branimir

Message 4 of 4
rudi.roux
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

I'm going to try and explain it in a way from some of my coding experience. I mainly use CSS3, HTML5 (a little bit of Java and Python, C++)... 

When coding, everything references to one thing or another. As soon as you change a reference name, it would need to updated in all other scripts which use that same (baseline) references. As soon as reference names are change and not updated in all scripts the rest of the script/code running the software will become faulty and will not function as it should. 

For example, when assigning formulas to Revit Families/Family Types, if you do not use or assign the parameters correctly, or to correctly reference to a parameter which you created, you'll receive an error message, or when referencing parameters in the formula section incorrectly, your end result would be faulty. 

Long story short, you will not be able to change the default/baseline TAB Names in Revit, due to the way in which they reference in the coding to everything else. You will not be able to change the Panel/Button Names of an external application (Plug-Ins, API's etc.) due to the way in which their scripts/coding function and references to everything else. (Unless if you receive the script where you can then update the names/references in the scripts). 

I hope all of this made sense and helps you. 

You can have a look at THIS ARTICLE which will give you an overview of how the names are assigned in external applications (Plug-ins, API's etc.). 

You'll also get an overview of how new Tabs, Panels and Buttons are created. 

I hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Tags (3)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report