Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a NEW Sub-discipline

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
brianwclayton1969
29827 Views, 25 Replies

Create a NEW Sub-discipline

How do you create a completely new sub-discipline? When I create a new sub-discipline the floor plans from other disciplines will move to that sub-discipine. I don't want a Plumbing Discipline. (Example: I create a Piping sub-discipline - for Mechanical- and I duplicate the Floor Plan View and when I add view template to that new Floor Plan and change the Sub-discipline to Piping - that I create - the floor plans for HVAC those will move to the Piping Sub-discipline. How create a new Sub-discipline without all the other floor plans transferring from one discipline?

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
iainsavage
in reply to: augustom5BMK6

The bit that I was referring to was “To not confuse myself, I just highlight all the Floor plans, Sections, etc under the Architectural discipline, then type in the Sub-Discipline”.
That would be easier to do using a view template. 

Message 22 of 26
augustom5BMK6
in reply to: iainsavage

The scenario is that we are in Revit and working on a mechanical environment, thus we see Mechanical discipline and HVAC sub-discipline, and assuming no view template is being used or loaded.  As with my first post, if we are satisfied with all the settings we can always create a NEW template from your current view, hence I said it is the same thing using a view template. We do not know whats in the OOTB view templates and we still have to change it to suit your requirements.  When you open an new project using the Mechanical template, I 'believe' it carries the properties of the mechanical view template.

This is what I do, whenever I have piping, I duplicate the selected HVAC floor plan, then highlight this plan assign a new Sub-Discipline to this in the Properties pallette, say Piping, and this will be listed under the Mechanical Discipline, not in the plumbing.

What I am referring to “To not confuse myself, I just highlight all the Floor plans, Sections, etc under the Architectural discipline, then type in the Sub-Discipline”.  is that in a mechanical environment, there is no Architectural views present, but it can be created if we duplicate a plan from mechanical discipline, we can move it to the Architectural Discipline if we need to draw say ceiling or wall.  In my work we normally do not have architectural in Revit, but we draw the mechanical in Revit, so to use a ceiling hosted family you need to draw a temporary ceiling, though we can always use a face based family.

What I am trying to convey is you can always do anything to your duplicated floor Plans/Sections and move it around to other Discipline or Sub-Discipline, you can add new Sub Discipline, say you want all the plans under the Architectural discipline, highlight (use the shift key) everything under the Architectural Discipline, and change the Sub-Discipline in the Properties by typing a NEW one OR select from the dropdown list.

As said before you can save the current view (plan, section or 3D) to a NEW view template and use it to your current view.

Message 23 of 26
ToanDN

Why argue about what has been concluded over 4 years ago?

ToanDN_0-1665173886326.png

Message 24 of 26
RobDraw

I have to say that this explanation is really hard to follow. It seems to be describing a very "fly by the seat of your pants" workflow. This kind of thing is usually set-up ahead of time in a customized project template that contains pre-set view templates.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 25 of 26

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Brian

Message 26 of 26
iainsavage

My comments were intended to be helpful to anyone reading this post. You seem to have taken some offence, which was not intended by me.

I just think using view templates to apply properties en masse is easier and what they are intended for.

If you have an occasional need to change the view properties you can use the temporary properties or temporary template facility but you don’t need to change the view discipline to Architectural just to add a wall or a ceiling. 

iainsavage_0-1665242793622.jpeg

Anyway I hope this might be of assistance to someone and I’ll leave it there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report