Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONVERT REVIT R2024 TO R2021

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
traiduong014969
12834 Views, 37 Replies

CONVERT REVIT R2024 TO R2021

Hi all, recently I am working with revit R2024. How ever my customer dont  use revit R2024, They are working with revit R2021. So I want to ask someone have way convert my revit file From 2024 to R2021 (no export Cad, or IFC file format). They only want revit format.

Thanh you !

37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38
RobDraw
in reply to: traiduong014969

No way to do it without losing information. It is probably best to redraw.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
in reply to: traiduong014969

Lots of threads on this revit has never had this ability & never will

You should have brought up the version your using & the client should have told you what version they require 

Message 4 of 38

https://revitlink.blogspot.com/2017/05/why-is-revit-not-backwards-compatible.html

Very good reasons why it isn't possible. Most will be on subscription, anyway, so just have everyone use the current version. 

Many threads here complaining about Autodesk not providing enough new features with new releases or not resolving bugs in older versions. At the same time, many threads about people refusing to upgrade to the recent version. Autodesk just can't win here.

If your clients are difficult, just make it part of the contract that you will work in current versions and also upgrade them to future releases. Some day we will have to stop using fax machines and rotary dial phones. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 5 of 38
craigjonnson
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

Not always possible in the real world. I have a project currently in 2018. Over 600 rvt files. Should I push this project to update to the untested latest version because its the latest and greatest?

Export you geometry to IFC, import back as an IFC to Revit. You will lose your sheets, tagging, systems etc. Depends on how big your project is. DIRoots tools for project setup can speed things along too.

Message 6 of 38
iainsavage
in reply to: craigjonnson

@craigjonnson  schrieb:

Export you geometry to IFC, import back as an IFC to Revit. You will lose your sheets, tagging, systems etc. Depends on how big your project is. DIRoots tools for project setup can speed things along too.

Does this transfer system data? Can systems be added to, changed etc?

Message 7 of 38
HVAC-Novice

It isn't impossible to upgrade projects to newer versions. Less work than having to recreate a LOT if you go the IFC route. 

What you should do is up to you and your peers on that project. When we hire sub-consultants we write in the contract that we will upgrade to new releases quickly and they have to do the same. Why would you pay subscription to Autodesk, and NOT use the new version you paid for? 

Untested? You think no one has used R2019....R2024 since 2018 and also Autodesk hasn't tested their products before release?  I would say R2018 is a risk since many problems were resolved with updates and you miss out on many nice features. and if you work in multiple versions, there is a huge hassle of keeping it all straight. You also won't be able to use new families or schedules and details you create in newer projects in older projects. I just don't see the upside to using outdated versions. Maybe waiting a month to see if there is major bug, fine. But anything more is wasted opportunity. 

Message 8 of 38
ToanDN

@craigjonnson wrote:

Not always possible in the real world. I have a project currently in 2018. Over 600 rvt files. Should I push this project to update to the untested latest version because its the latest and greatest?

Are there any new features that you must use for this old project?  If not, leave it be.  Also, the question of this thread is about downgrading, not upgrading.  If you want to ask about upgrading then start your own thread.

Message 9 of 38
craigjonnson
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi Toan,

I tend to read through all of the replies, and where one person suggested to upgrade, this was my response. I felt that I had responded to downgrading, why should I start a new thread? 

A lot of your comments on the forum are pushed in a negative way. Take a break if its getting to you.

Message 10 of 38
craigjonnson

Message 11 of 38
ToanDN

@frogjonnson wrote:

I tend to read through all of the replies, and where one person suggested to upgrade, this was my response. I felt that I had responded to downgrading, why should I start a new thread? 

A lot of your comments on the forum are pushed in a negative way. Take a break if its getting to you.

It's like you are asking how to fix a car, the mechanic is telling you to lower the music volume so he can hear, and you think the topic is about music lol.  If your attention span is like that on a regular basis then perhaps it's time to refill your med.

Message 12 of 38
craigjonnson
in reply to: ToanDN

"Toad" Toan!,

Sorry I have a google spell check. That wasnt intentional.

Is this necessary! This isnt a COD chat group.

craigjonnson_0-1685051633249.png

Message 13 of 38
RobDraw

@HVAC-Novice wrote:

What you should do is up to you and your peers on that project. When we hire sub-consultants we write in the contract that we will upgrade to new releases quickly and they have to do the same.

That would be a ridiculous requirement in my world. Why force your consultants to upgrade? It puts unnecessary expense on the project. Since I started Revit, it has always been best to keep the project in the version that it was started in. In fact, BIM excecution plans usually state the version of the project. Upgrading mid-project is usually only done for a reason other than a newer version being released. There’s a cost associated with upgrading. Upgrading templates and content isn’t cheap and if your consultants have got to upgrade because of your project, you can be sure the cost will be passed on to you rather than being absorbed into overhead. Not every place needs to upgrade every year. I’ve been able to skip versions because of the requirements of our projects. I’ve also had to upgrade for a single project and charged the time to the project, not overhead.

Rob

Message 14 of 38
RobDraw

@craigjonnson wrote:

Not always possible in the real world. I have a project currently in 2018. Over 600 rvt files.

What kind of project is this? That’s A LOT of Revit files. Are they all live project models?

@craigjonnson wrote:

Should I push this project to update to the untested latest version because its the latest and greatest?

”Untested” by who, you? I could understand that but there’s actually little risk in adopting a new version when it comes out. I wouldn’t force upgrading but it’s always a viable option. In fact, I usually look forward to using newer versions. There’s always something that I want to try out that could be handy in current projects.

Rob

Message 15 of 38
RobDraw

Both of you are out of line with the personal stuff. Get heated about the technical stuff, leave the personal stuff on your side of the keyboard. 

Rob

Message 16 of 38

To get back on topic the question is "I want to ask someone have way convert my revit file From 2024 to R2021  (no export Cad, or IFC file format)" and the answer, per @RobDraw 's earlier response, is that you can't.

Message 17 of 38
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: RobDraw

What cost of upgrading? Just a few minutes of computing time. and you can use the PC for something else while it upgrades a project. And once a project exists, you don't need to upgrade the template it was based on. There also is a Dynamo way to batch-upgrade all families and projects at once (I still need to dive into this, though)

To me it is much simpler (for me) to have all projects and families in the same version. And assuming any new project will be in the current version, not upgrading would prevent me to easily transfer any new families, details or schedules to the older project. Unless you propose to just stay on an older version for all projects. But then you wouldn't take advantage of new features and at some time you have to upgrade anyway. 

Real World example. I'm using R2024. On current projects I updated some schedules and families (like new light fixtures with new ies files since technology moves ahead) to be better and up to date. That's just necessary since products change over time. Every project I bid out is a little bit different and improved. I have one project that still is R2023 that is with other people. Unless they upgrade, I'm not able to use my new families and improved details and schedules etc. That is a project that actually started in 2020 or so, so it already was upgraded a few times. But you can't expect me to stay on R2020 for all my projects just because of an old project. 

I'm not saying anyone has to follow my example. But as someone who frequently changes (and hopefully improves) the ways I do things, I really would not be able to take full advantage if I had to maintain multiple versions. Once I have a new idea on a new project, I implement that on older projects if they haven't been bid out yet (once they are bid out, I stop making changes to them unless an addendum is needed). To each their own. 

I just wish Autodesk would implement some sort of forced upgrade. This seems to be the only subscription software where people are NOT upgrading to what they paid for. 

Message 18 of 38
RobDraw

As a consultant, it's not my decision to upgrade. I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I appreciate upgrades and encourage it. I was only sharing that my experience is that every project that I've done that has been upgraded has never been because a new version was released and that every BEP plan that I've seen includes the version to be used for the entire course of the project.

IME and MHO, in a collaborative environment, it's best practice and usually required to remain on the same version.

As to cost, that's very subjective but there is always a cost. Your statements seem a bit shortsighted to me but the amount of overhead of upgrading is not really a part of what I'm trying to say. Just that there's a cost that could be substantial enough to warrant not upgrading just because there's a newer version. 

Rob

Message 19 of 38
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: RobDraw

I truly appreciate your opinion and experience. And this is something where there isn't a right or wrong - just different perspectives. I bet my work and bid environment is substantially different from yours. And what works for you, doesn't have to work for me and vice versa. 

There is a cost to upgrading. But there also is a cost to not upgrade. For my situation, the advantage of using the newest version on all projects outweighs the advantages of keeping one project on the same version. I understand that in different situations people would weigh the advantages of both options differently. 

But if everyone was on the newest version, this thread wouldn't even have come up. Threads like this actually prove that using different versions has challenges and cost as well. 

I use some other software that has updates every few months. When I have a problem and call support, and for some reason had missed updating, support doesn't even take me serious before I updated my software to the latest version. There is a reason that for computers the second support suggestion (right after re-starting the PC) is to update all software.  

Message 20 of 38
RobDraw

It's starting to sound like you are repeating yourself and assuming everyone is on the sane page that you are. Arguing for the sake of arguing. 

I've shared my experience and my opinion. I'm not trying to change your mind. I disagree with you and I'm out.

Good luck.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report