Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Callout view, reference other view greyed out

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
omar_rosales2
26250 Views, 14 Replies

Callout view, reference other view greyed out

I have a building that's borken up into areas A-J

I'm trying to create a callout view on an Overall plan that shows the whole building.

I also want the same callout to show on the area A drawing.

When I go to create a callout and try to reference the original callout the "reference other view" under Modify | Callout is greyed out and I can't select anything.

Can anyone help with this?

Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: omar_rosales2

Have you tried checking the box?

Capture.PNG

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Yes, you must check that box!

Message 4 of 15
omar_rosales2
in reply to: ToanDN

I don't have that box to check it. Here's a screencast of what i'm doing. You can see where the reference other view is greyed out. and also that i don't have the checkbox in your picture.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/8f901637-983b-446f-88e5-ba2d88778e31

Message 5 of 15
ToanDN

You cannot choose a reference View for the first Call-out (in the left view) because it is an actual view, not a reference view.

Capture.PNG

When you start the Callout command, after click the button, do not click anywhere on the drawing area just yet, check the box right away.  Yes you have that box from what I can see from your screencast.  You can pick the correct view from the list at the moment but you don't have to.  You can always change that later.

Capture1.PNG

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks for this important information. I couldn't have ever figured it out without your 1st few sentences.

Message 7 of 15

Agreed - thank you for sharing this. This is a great fall-back to give better control of callouts that need to appear on multiple or different sheets from where they started. It also gives a little more flexibility in how to define the view area on the referencing page - you just have to be a little careful with that. 

Message 8 of 15

Are you able to convert a callout to show reference view if the option wasn't initially set at first ?

Message 9 of 15

Not that I know of. I think you have to initially set it or you're stuck but if you find out otherwise let me know.

Message 10 of 15
JacobFabian
in reply to: thaibxer87

It would be nice to be able to uncheck the box too. I run through and ctrl-copy a lot of my detail callouts after referencing "detail 0" (my first callout). My architect redlines where he wants all of them then I run through and add place holders until I'm ready to detail them while I'm waiting for engineering. 

Message 11 of 15

Agreed - this has come up multiple times in the last while, I'm hoping that future versions of Revit have more flexibility with this. Looks like this thread has 16k+ views - seems like a lot of views to me. Probably a common issue users run into.

Message 12 of 15
RobDraw
in reply to: tarltonferrin2120

You can tell Autodesk about it in the IDEAS forum or Product Feedback. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 13 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: tarltonferrin2120

@tarltonferrin2120 wrote:

Agreed - this has come up multiple times in the last while, I'm hoping that future versions of Revit have more flexibility with this. Looks like this thread has 16k+ views - seems like a lot of views to me. Probably a common issue users run into.

There is nothing to fix.  There is no issue if you use the tool properly.

Message 14 of 15
gurump

Having the ability to change the callout from one referenced view to another would be extremely helpful instead of putting placeholders all over until the detail has been drawn. 

Message 15 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: gurump

We can do that already, for at least 5 or 6 years.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report