Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aligning extruded cylinders to move parametrically

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
evan_grady
319 Views, 5 Replies

Aligning extruded cylinders to move parametrically

I am trying to get the two cylinders on the top and bottom to stay centralized as I expand the width and other variables parametrically. Typically, I use the align dimension or the alignment tool to lock it into place, so it does not move. But the cylinder does not allow me to do that, so what is another way to fix the cylinders into place.

Screenshot 2023-06-01 081040.png

Screenshot 2023-06-01 081011.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
iainsavage
in reply to: evan_grady

If you edit the circular profile of the cylinder, make centre mark visible, align and lock to a reference plane then the cylinders should stay in alignment but to check this could you upload your family to allow it to be examined?

Message 3 of 6
evan_grady4
in reply to: iainsavage

Here's the family file.

Message 4 of 6
iainsavage
in reply to: evan_grady4

Okay, first things first - your family is not symetrical around the origin point (red circle).

Move everything over to be symmetrical and dimension from the main planes with equal values either side:

iainsavage_0-1685635542937.png

For the 4 cylinders, as I said earlier, edit the circular profile, make the centre mark visible and align and lock it to the origin planes.

For the rectangular extrusions, I would have modelled them on plan (on reference plane view) rather than side elevation and then dimensioned the four sides from the origin planes and using equality dimensions to maintain symmetry. In fact I prefer to use sweeps rather than extrusions but that's just a personal preference.

I have roughly modified your family - try that and see if it works any better for you.

Message 5 of 6
evan_grady
in reply to: iainsavage

Thanks, I was able to get it work with the center line and align dimensions

Message 6 of 6
iainsavage
in reply to: evan_grady

I missed one of the voids in your family, amended version just for the record in case anyone looks at this in the future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators