Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X, Y, Z Axis for REVIT (MUST DO)

X, Y, Z Axis for REVIT (MUST DO)

Hi All Developers,

Revit 2017 needs simple control via X, Y, Z buttons, just like Cinema 4D, 3DS Max or even Photoshop.

It would be much-much easier to draw with just switching ON and OFF axis which you don't want to work in and only work

in axis where you want your pipes to go.

Those who ever tried to seriously draw pipes and other fixtures will understand this.

At this moment control is somehow chaotic and stupid. Offset is confusing and misleading for the beginners.

We are using REVIT 24/7 in electrical and mechanical design, and we are PAYING customers, so this feature MUST BE DONE. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

Kind Regards

Leo

5 Comments
SeanSpence
Advocate

Hi Leo,

Just looking at some of your other posts.

This feature is available.

Every view has the ability to choose a plane in which to draw. You can select that from the work plan portion of the discipline specific tab of the ribbon. Try using the shift button also when you are moving an element. it will change the direction (to z from x-y) in which you can move a selected item)

Hopefully this gives you a hint for your searches to expand your knowledge on how to do this.

Capture.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I know this one,
But what about 3D view.
We are mostly working in 3D views.
And there are no proper axis or rotational tools there.
Or they are hidden?

This message has been scanned for malware by Websense. www.websense.com
SeanSpence
Advocate
You can use the same tools in the 3d view. The show button will be able to show you what plane the elements are being placed on.

>From a structural perspective, I use the "pick a plane" option to select a beam face etc. You can also draw a reference plane at an angle plan for a group of elements, name it and select that reference plane from the "name". Using the snaps is also overlooked a lot for newer users. You can use the keyboard to specify snaps similar to acad. SE = Snap End SM = Snap Middle SP= Snap Perpendicular etc.

Don't be afraid to create a bunch of levels either. They are great for defining elements z location. Referencing everything to the finished floor is usually very time consuming in the end if there are a bunch of height changes on the project.

Sean Spence
Structural Designer
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
SSOE Group

[cid:image001.png@01D1DE6C.A9AE4620]

SSOE was recently named a Great Place to Work! Learn more about SSOE's commitment to our employees at www.ssoe.com/great-workplace .

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. It is intended for use by the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized use, review, dissemination, forwarding, copying or printing is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately.
Anonymous
Not applicable

To the above answer:

Sorry, but that doesn't work as good as in even AutoCAD.

Trying to snap gives more error messages than when connecting it manually for the moment.

At least in Revit 2017. We are using SNAPS, no worries, we are not novices.

Try to snap Cable tray and you will see the result is in opposite angle. Ha-Ha. Never saw it in other software.

The second advice is inefficient and long method of achieving what is needed

if the proper ARROWED AXIS were  in each model, when clicking on it. (Like in 3DS MAX)

Forgive me, but I am not going to call out a plane every time when I just need to notch or slightly move a pipe bend or

valve to my pipe structure. Imaging doing it in a full scale PLANT ROOM with a lot of things in it.

Come on people, we need much more efficient and productive tools and options in revit 2018, if we choose it as the future of our designs.

Make it happen.

😉

Leo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Leo Hi;

infact there is solution in Revit 2016 for ; 90° X and Y axis draw

just push and hold shift button for drawing on X, Y, Axis after your command (for example trying draw pipe) in 3D view

but there is no options for Z axis in 3D view. 😞

i really prefer this option with 1 BUTTON action

forexample after command , we can hold ctrl button than continue on Z axis

it will be usefull for designers

Ufuk 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators