Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typing VG in a view with a template should open the template

Typing VG in a view with a template should open the template

Typing VG or VV to open Visibility Graphics on a view with a template open the Visibility Graphics dialog with everything greyed out.

Lets be a bit more user friendly and ask the user 'This view is controlled by a View Template, do you want to open the view template settings?'

This would save a lot of time!

6 Comments
Ric_Weber
Collaborator

I love this idea!  I'm going to add just a little to it... 

In a perfect scenario, hitting VG or VV in a view with a view template should pop up a dialog... "This view is using View Template, "XYZ".  Then give three options; "Edit View Template" or "Enable Temporary View Properties" (and then open the VG dialog) or "Temporarily Apply Template Properties" (and give a list of recent templates used in a drop down).

Just a thought.  

guyMQ3ZE
Explorer

This idea is so good, I was about to post a very similar one myself!
This would surely be easy to implement, and a real time saver? Also working towards documentation automation (I'm thinking of the Roadmap).

Also +1 to Ric_Weber’s suggestions!

Kevin.Bell
Advisor

@Ric_Weber Nice idea!

samuelsanf
Advisor

I agree with @Ric_Weber 

cprettyman
Collaborator

how would you address view templates that have several of the options unchecked, so that some aspects of the view are controlled by a template, but others are by sheet?  Would you add that extra dialog for every time you type VG?  

Ric_Weber
Collaborator

@cprettyman you bring up a good point.  I'm thinking there would be a fourth option, Open Visibility Graphics.  That could be the default so you only have to hit enter after pressing VV.  Or a really good option could be that the system remembers which option you chose last and default to that one.  So if you normally edit the View Template, that would be the default if that is what you selected last.  

I understanding not wanting so many options, (kinda defeats the purpose of the keyboard shortcut) but I still like this idea.   

Perhaps setting up different shortcuts for each of these options would also be a good idea.  Looks like you can set it up for a couple options, see below.  So then only the option to open the View Template would be the only thing needed as an option.  Perhaps there could be different options for how you want it to work that could be set in the options and thus would put an entry in the revit.ini.  Yea.... that's the ticket.  

Ric_Weber_0-1722015045813.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report