Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously keyboard shortcuts for Revit

Seriously keyboard shortcuts for Revit

For users to (massively) migrate from Autocad to Revit, Revit needs some serious keyboard shortcuts like Autocad. Especially: F8 = Ortho Mode, F3 = Object Snap On/Off, F7 = Grids (Datum) On/Off. Maybe some way to isolate a certain category / object with one click, like in Autocad, and grey out all other objects, NOT hiding them.

9 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a ton of keyboard shortcuts available in Revit.

When modelling and you want ortho, either check constrain or keep shift pressed in.

Object snap can be accessed by pressing S* where * is the actual snappoint you want (i.e. SE = Snap Endpoint, SM is Snap Midpoint, SX is Snap Node, etc.).

Grids can be controlled by a category. Isolate category can be done by selecting a element and then in the view control bar isolate a category. Unfortunatly, no greying out.

markcalloway
Collaborator

Hi @ipselute

Revit isn't AutoCAD and has a different way of working. Revit was not originally developed by Autodesk and so wasn't originally designed with AutoCAD users in mind.

I use both Revit and AutoCAD and once you get use to using Revit you will see that its just as easy to use as AutoCAD. It will just take a bit of time to learn how to use Revit and forget how you did stuff in AutoCAD but once you get there it will be easy.

If you get stuck on anything specific with Revit feel free to ask for help on the forums 🙂

ipselute
Advisor

HI  @markcalloway

It is not a problem of usability for me. It's about enhanced usability, the need of optimizing mouse movements and supereasy keyboard shortcuts. I can edit drawings much faster in Autocad  than i can do it in Revit. I've seen people editing models much faster in Allplan and Tekla than in Revit. Time is money. That's all. A program is only half-good without supereasy superintuitive shortcuts. Real pros always prefer shortcuts over graphical interface.

markcalloway
Collaborator

Hi @ipselute

List of Revit shortcuts:

https://www.autodesk.com/shortcuts/revit

all shortcuts are only two keys long so very fast to type.

Also you can create your own custom shortcuts:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/EN...

As for customising views, you can create a view template and save it in your project template, then with a click in the view properties window you can change how your view is displayed in your projects.

If you want to know anything more about customising Revit or make a workflow faster just ask on the forum.

pieter1
Advisor

What I would add is that it would be helpful if we could assign one button shortcuts (M for move, C for copy, etc). 

rickt
Contributor

I used AutoCAD for years, drew in 2d/3d, customized menus, wrote lisp routines, etc.  If what you want to do is draw and you are efficient at it, then you should stay with AutoCAD.  Revit isn't a drawing tool and the more drawing you do the slower your model gets.  The efficiency you gain in Revit is from modeling your building.  The better you get at Revit, the less you draw and the more you model to create a virtual building.  The result of improved modeling practices is that its more likely your building design will be better coordinated.  The process of modeling can inform your design in ways that drawing in AutoCAD will never be able to do.

... and I use shortcuts everyday.  Its really easy to customize your shortcuts and save them from one version of Revit to the next.

ipselute
Advisor

@ rickt: I'm way past that. If you like to chop cars, that's fine with me. But i don't (like to chop them). I prefer to buy a better car that just works the way it's supposed to. 3D modeling and BIMing is one thing. Detailing all the building corners and edges is another. Can't load all the details in the 3D model, because it would make it huge. Instead, you're using 2D typical details. Which Revit is not so good at. At least not as good as Autocad is, in terms of manipulating and editing simple objects (lines, arcs, etc). Can't build anything directly from the 3D model. You always need 2d plans and 2D details.

ipselute
Advisor

Having different keyboard shortcuts for the same tools in Revit and Autocad is very confusing (E.g. Move, Zoom, Array, etc). Having identical shortcuts would make Autocad -> Revit transition much easier. And command abbreviations in Revit (just like in Autocad) would be much appreciated.

Tags (1)
j-kirkpatrick
Enthusiast

Hopefully this will help out. In revit press "KS" and it will bring up the shortcut menu. From there you can adjust any key shortcuts to your liking. For example changing Move from MV to M+space (just like cad), detail component to DC, it's up to you how you'd like to make it. Then save and also do an export so you can load them into the other revit versions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators