Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quicker way to shut off Link annotations

Quicker way to shut off Link annotations

Revit needs a quicker way to shut off annotations in linked projects, particularly levels and grids, in new views, preferably right here:

image.png

The method I'm aware of (please correct me if there's a faster route!) is too cumbersome:

1. Click Display Settings

2. Basics Tab: click Custom

3. click Annotation Categories tab

4. click Annotation categories pull down

5. click <Custom>  AGAIN!!

6. uncheck "Show Annotation..."

and repeat for every linked file.

Oh, you added a new linked file halfway through the project?

Now go do that in EVERY VIEW TEMPLATE!

Thank you.

15 Comments
jkidder
Collaborator

I agree, and would like more granular controls for links.  I end up finding work arounds to catch levels and grids with filters because I don't want the first panel of the Basics tab to be custom!

Reference lines are also an issue - you can't filter those, and sometimes links have a lot.

bbeckert
Contributor

Good idea.

One work around, that you might be doing already, is to control with Worksets. Set all your grids and levels on a workset, then close that workset under Manage Links for each link. Just have to make sure no one uses that workset for anything else but Levels and Grids.

kgatzke
Collaborator

@bbeckert unfortunately as the architects we are the project's BIM management and so we're responsible for coordination.  That means we have a few views in our project file where we can compare their grids and levels to ours.  Therefore we have to keep those worksets open.

I think the real problem here is that linked files come in with their annotations turned on.  Maybe a better solution, and simpler to implement for Autodesk, is change it so linked files always load with annotations turned off.  I don't know how other firms work but I can think of no scenarios where we use consultant annotations in our project file.

jkidder
Collaborator

@kgatzke If elements in links are on their own workset, you can then add that workset to your model and turn them off per view template with a filter - that's what we do.

Besides coordination, I know there are some firms/projects that will annotate some things in a separate project and link the views in.  I had to do it years ago on a large project when roof slopes wouldn't tag through a linked file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has this ever been resolved? such a pain. 

also how good would it be if you could apply linked view settings to following view templates 

SeanSpence
Advocate

Agreed! but 2017 was a long time ago. This is common sense stuff that would save a bunch of time.

atis.sed
Advocate

Still have to do this peasant work every time for multiple links! facepalm!

croundy5QGYD
Participant

I completely agree w/ @kgatzke.  Revit link annotations should be turned off by default.

SeanSpence
Advocate

This just moved to the top of the list for my things that should be fixed.

Totally agree.... HATE HATE HATE.... having to deal with this constantly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed i just finished turning off annotation on a few links and its annoying to have to repeat the same process all over. Really Autodesk need to implement the suggestion above

carr_steven
Contributor

Hard to imagine that 5 years later, we're STILL dealing with this. Autodesk please implement the suggestion above!

ToanDN
Consultant

Annotations and detail items in links never show unless you deliberately set the links display to Custom or By Linked View.

jane.ruizV4DHC
Participant

That's incorrect @ToanDN , reference lines & gridlines always come in when everything is set to By Host View. We use a filter to hide gridlines, but can't create one for reference lines. They may not print, but it can be very messy to work with. There is occasionally some text that comes in through families in linked models as well. 

ENEVILLE
Participant

Filter is the way to go.  If you create a filter for type name does not equal and create a unique type name for your levels and grids, you can create a filter that will turn off all of the levels  and one that turns off all of the grids.

joshpAZD9W
Contributor

I agree wholeheartedly that the default for levels and grids in linked files should be OFF and the  @kgatzke's suggestion for a column in the Revit Links tab would be excellent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report