Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing Rooms

Phasing Rooms

Hello, 

Please allow Rooms to be an element that can be phased and demolished.

Often times, demolition views are set to "Show Previous + Demo" on a Phase filter, and "New Construction Phase" on the Phase. Because the view is set to "New construction, all rooms created on an "Existing" Phase disappear. This becomes problematic when rooms within rooms are demolished (two rooms become one room for a renovation project). The boundaries for the existing room no longer exist, so you can't label that room in a demolition view. 

My company circumvents this issue by creating symbols that look like room tags. This works, except that we have to copy the symbolic room tag across multiple views, which is irritating. 

I was hoping this would change with 2019. If this is not possible to do, please explain how to tag existing rooms when the view is set to Phase, "New Construction."

Thank you, 

Michelle 

82 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just experienced this issue. Yes we need this, VERY VERY VERY practical

The existing phase rooms cannot be seen / tagged in newer phase! Man Sad

lejla.s
Autodesk

please note this one - it's  already under review: 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/rooms-from-previous-phases/idi-p/6348861

ambim
Contributor

Please allow rooms to act like other model objects with phasing. For the very many of us who specialize in renovating existing buildings, the workflow is horrendous. See below.

- If I have an existing plan with existing rooms and I want to demo some walls for my new project, my demo plan would be set to "New Construction, Show Previous & Demo" with the walls being demo'd in New Construction phase. But two things happen here. 1) the rooms from my existing phase no longer exist, so I need to copy/paste them to the New Construction phase. This now double counts the rooms in the project with the same name and number, even though they are in different phases. It's also an additional step that should not be necessary because I have already created my existing rooms! 2) the demo'd walls effectively negate any room bounding that would occur, thus making room tagging of the 'existing' rooms useless.

Our internal workaround for this has been to create an existing floor plan set to the same scale as our demo plan, control the VG to only show rooms and room tags, and overlay that on the demo plan. This is a crazy workaround for a problem that seems shouldn't exist.

- Also, allow rooms to change phase after placement. Again, rooms being agnostic to phasing except on placement is not something that should occur. Just make rooms act like other model elements. 

NWihnan
Contributor

Please make rooms/spaces work like everything else in Revit. A room/space should be able to exist across phases. It should be possible to create a room/space and set the phase it is created and the phase it is to be demolished like all other objects or to create a space in the existing phase that is not demolished and exists in the new construction phase.

Tags (3)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Our internal workaround for this has been to create an existing floor plan set to the same scale as our demo plan, control the VG to only show rooms and room tags, and overlay that on the demo plan. This is a crazy workaround for a problem that seems shouldn't exist.

Really hope this gets worked out - we do the same thing and it's just not right! It ruins schedules etc. as well as collaboration between consultants. Revit, help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Autodesk, please to provide a parameter that allows rooms and spaces to be created/demolished per phase. 

kylee.Feland
Explorer

This could be as easy as a visibility tick box for each phase in the properties box. I can see there being issues for room area calculations in rooms that are in multiple phases but grow/shrink in size as walls are added or demolished... making room separation lines able to be phased could help with this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Duplication of rooms, workarounds of a ton of extra views, and detail groups of room names wouldn't be required if rooms acted like every other model item in Revit.  This sets up all design professionals for mistakes.  This needs to be fixed - the rationale behind this is not based in industry practice and drawing production.  Existing rooms need to be shown in context just like existing walls and doors.  FIX THIS PLEASE!!

ADiVenere
Explorer

Rooms are currently Phase specific. I need a phase that will show both existing and new construction Rooms/Room tags. It is very frustrating and causes a lot of problems when having to duplicate rooms from one phase to the next.

ADiVenere
Explorer

Has any progress been made on this from the Autodesk team? It seems that it has more than enough support. As more projects are utilizing options to renovate existing buildings, we need the software to work with us. 

K-Eastman
Explorer

I can't believe this is still a problem in 2020. This is an old post but I'm trying to add votes to a post that is established to get as many votes as possible. I wish when you go to set a post here using key words it would pop up previous posts that could match yours so we don't get 10 posts on the same idea so the votes don't get spread around.

AMBrown29
Contributor

I am working on a 200 million dollar project with close to 25 phases and I have spent a disgusting amount of time dealing with the multitude of issues and complications from this one issue in Revit. In my research, this one issue has been commented on for close to 10 years and Autodesk has still not addressed it. I have voted on this comment and I will vote on any other I can find, as well as posting my own comment with the suggestion that others do the same. The only way to get Autodesk's attention is to be the squeaky wheel!!!

AMBrown29
Contributor

There are already many, many request made over many years of the programs existence to have room phasing.  I have commented and voted on several of these already, and I suggest that others do the same. There does not seem to be any reason not to have rooms multi phased, but there are numerous and extremely complicated problems that would be solved by this one modification.  For one, existing rooms tags could be added. also, rooms would not have to be copied from one phase to another and renumbering would not be so complicated. I am working on a very large project with close to 25 phases and this one issue has become the bane of my existence.

Please, I urge you to vote for the most popular suggestions for this topic so that maybe we can get AutoDesk's attention and once and for all get this problem with the program fixed.

Tags (1)
mmeinert
Contributor

Ditto for Spaces please.

NateBrush
Advocate

I'll add a comment on phasing that I've added on other Ideas. The phasing logic needs to be re-written around the real world logic of phasing and renovation, rather than a code/graphics logic. In Revit a family is existing from a previous phase or new. An existing object getting demolished is treated as part of the new phase. A room doesn't follow the same logic.

Reality is that rooms and objects to be demolished exist as part of the existing phase. Their continuity ends at the end of existing phase, not the new phase. For example, I might bulldoze an existing room and then never finish the new addition. At best, the solution is to change demo from the new phase to the previous phase. At worst, the phasing needs to be rewritten to have an intermediate phase between existing and new. A phase .5 between phase 0 and phase 1.

ADT267
Enthusiast

Yes. Try showing a building with a previous extension being demolished. The rooms in the existing building are still existing but cant show them in the "new construction" phase.... unless we cobble together two different phase views on a sheet as @ambim said, or "copy" all the rooms into the new phase.

what about trying to set the phasing in "plan regions"?......   alas, no can do!!!

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

We are updating this thread to Gathering Support. We are continuing to evaluate where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

This is possible, you just can´t remove rooms from one phase to another phase. But creating rooms in a given phase only require choosing phase before placing the room. 

jkidder
Collaborator

@ViviNyehuusAndersen What we mean by phasing rooms is that we need to be able to adjust the "phase created" and, even more importantly, "phase demolished".  We are well aware that rooms exist in a phase, but we have to overlay views on sheets to get a proper demo plan with room names.  Currently we also have to create and maintain multiple rooms, one for each phase, to represent rooms that exist and are unchanged.  We should be able to have one room that can be created in the existing phase and remain through other phases, the same way walls, casework, plumbing, and other model elements can.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators