Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Selections

Multiple Selections

In many areas of Revit multiple selections does not work, for example deleting multiple filters. Also in schedules selecting muitiple cells and enter a value for all the selected cells will be welcome.

25 Comments
f_santana
Mentor

I would suggest the same thing

KM_Springfield
Advocate

Good suggestion.

One point to raise from a dev's point of view (no I am not on the team but do have experience in software development) a "many area's" request is likely to get overlooked in favour of specific requests, it is very possible your schedules request will get fulfilled but not so likely that much else will.

Might be better to be specific and then raise new requests for different areas prioritising those that will save you the most time.

brenan.sellers
Advocate

Multiple selection of sheets to change revisions with "Revisions on sheet" button.

RDAOU
Mentor

Great Idea to save time doing simple repetative tasks...

I haven't really thought about it in depth; but I'm just wondering if that will pose a higher risk of making errors which one may have been better off not worrying about

KM_Springfield
Advocate

@RDAOU I guess you could look at that both ways as a risk, if you get bored repeating the same task 20 times you can miss one step (I know I have done it!) but as you say there is a risk of making a more significant muck up by changing a whole lot of things at once in error.

damo3
Advisor

Great Idea and would be very welcomed consistent function. 

RDAOU
Mentor

As I've said, it is a great idea to repeat simple task...

@KM_Springfield

Probably/maybe a check box "Apply to Selected items" ...but definitely not an innate/default functionality!!! like give the user a "Use at your own RISK" kinda option 🙂 considering that the tendency to abuse a function or misuse it is more likely to happen than making 1 mistake out of 20 repetitive actions (thinking at a management level NOT a user level)

KM_Springfield
Advocate

@RDAOU An "apply to selected items check box" is an excellent suggestion or as an alternative a pop reminding you "this will apply to xx items" with a cancel button.

I like the term "use at your own risk option" Smiley Very Happy

Multiple Selections in generelSmiley Tongue

Filters, Project Parameters (Fore deleting only), View Templates (Fore deleting only).

inastrand
Explorer

Wishes for schedules:

Shading rows and/or individual cells in schedules, not just columns and titles.

OR option when filtering in schedules - not just AND.

That it would be possible to hide text in certain cells. Maybe as conditional formatting.

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision.

The Factory

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

pieter7
Advisor

@sasha.crotty Could the factory comment on what exactly is accepted. Does this affect a general approach where the factory will try and implement multi-selection in all relevant lists in Revit or does is only apply to the two examples provided by the poster (deleting multiple filters. + selecting muitiple cells and enter a value for all the selected cells will be welcome.)?

Also, there's a parallel idea on selecting multiple cells and entering a value: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/select-multiple-rows-in-schedules/idi-p/6340504  Perhaps the factory can mark that idea as "accepted" as well?

This should also applies to project parameters. Filters in VG, so that we can apply override on multiple filters. Sheets so we can add revisions on multiple sheets.Columns in scheduleds so we can edit more than one column at the time.

Kimtaurus
Advisor

I'd like to add to the list of items for mutiple selection:

• materials
  • hatch patterns
  • line patterns (makes cleaning up your file, after an import, much easier)
zrohlfs23F92
Contributor
How about Revit just embed Excel into the program and use that for schedules. Excel is 10x better an easier to use and you can get it to look how you want. Why does a program that is supposed to be great, not even have the same control that something had back in 1997? 20 years ago we had better control over schedules than we do now. Hell a paper, ruler and pencil is better.
ntanner
Contributor

Also when you select multiple objects if properties vary it would display 'Varies' in the properties value rather than a blank white box that appears to be an empty value.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

@ntanner, I suggest posting your idea as a separate post. It's a great idea and worth being voted on.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

@pieter7, great question and I apologize in delay in reply - I missed your comment the first time around.

This is one of the rare cases where we are accepting a general approach because we feel we can make small, but significant improvements in multiple relevant areas. Suggestions for which areas are most valuable are very welcome.

pieter7
Advisor

@sasha.crotty My personal list in order of priority (I think all of them were mentioned above)

1. editing multiple values at once in a schedule
  2. selecting multiple sheets and being able to add revisions to all of them at once
  3. delete fill patterns (for cleaning up the project)
  4. deleting multiple materials (again for cleaning up the project
  5. delete line patterns (for cleaning up imported line types)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report