Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global parameters for system families

Global parameters for system families

Enable Global parameters to be used for materials in system families like walls, roofs and railings.

6 Comments
samuelsanf
Advisor

I agree, specially with Pipes. Often it is necessary to add Shared Parameters on pipes so that you do not have to duplicate Types or create a huge amount of filters... This would solve many workaround.

Global Parameters its another kind of paramenters, I think you're talking about Shared Parameters. Gobal Parameters control distance relations in or betwen elements, Shared Parameters control properties of an element. Or that's the way I see them.

bwinterscheidt
Enthusiast

I honestly think that Global Parameters implementation in the project environment needs to be expanded dramatically.  I believe we should be able to *use* any Global Parameter that we can create, for any property/parameter/value of a valid/matching data type, on any element in the project.

As it is, we can *create* any type of Global Parameter, but only seem able to really *use* the Length parameters, and even then only in certain situations that don't always seem logical (ie, a Wall's Base Offset property CAN be set to a Global Parameter, but the Wall's Bottom/Top Extension Distance or Unconnected Height properties CANNOT be, even though they are all lengths...)

Another good example:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/ability-to-quot-paint-quot-using-a-global-material-parame...

martijn_pater
Advisor

It would be quite nice to be able to associate global (material) parameters to wall/floor assemblies ie.

Associate material to global parameterAssociate material to global parameter

martijn_pater
Advisor

@samuelsanf Global parameters are not just for dimensions. I often use it to associate material parameters. Let's say you have x amount of structural column types, if you associate the type material parameter to a single global (ie. cast-in-place concrete material) you can then at any time change this global parameter to something else for all of them (ie. prefab concrete material). When using globals this way you don't need to load the material browser all the time, it's a real time-saver imho. Unfortunately not available for walls/floors/etc, hence my request.

RicWeber
Contributor

I also just tried to use it for setting the material parameter for mullions in a curtain wall.  Mullions (as being a system family also) I could not associate a global parameter.  Which of course brings up the point of why are mullions a system family?  Why are they any different than a railing baluster for instance...  but I digress, that's a different Revit Idea. 

aarons9RRP8
Explorer

Adding my support to this request for ability to assign global parameters to things like mullion materials. We have several different types of mullions (and doors/frames) on the project, and it would make workflow so much simpler to be able to link them all to one global parameter. Or for another project, we have several different mullion types, and we need two different materials for different sections of the project. Would be so much simpler to just have two global parameters, rather than trying to keep track of which types go where.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report