Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give us start and end indent properties for handrail support spacing

Give us start and end indent properties for handrail support spacing

Please give us start and end indent properties for handrail support spacing.  These would operate rather like the equivalent properties on a 'Divided Path', although I guess they'd need to be type properties to be consistent with all the other handrail properties (Oh, how I wish most of those were instance properties in the actual railing).

Currently Revit sometimes puts supports exactly on the start and end of the handrail, depending on which spacing option you choose.  This occurs even if you have a wall extension, which is patently absurd.  It also occurs on free end handrails, which mean that the support is only half fixed to the handrail.  Yes, I know that we can unpin the support and move it - but I have to do that for every single railing, as they are never, ever how I want the supports;  clicking the 'Reset Railing' button, loses all the hard-won manual repositioning on the whole railing - with just one little click.

I would also like to have checkboxes that tell Revit whether to include the length of the extension in the support spacing calculations (for start and end) - sometimes you want it included, sometimes not.

6 Comments
timwaldock5907
Advocate
aleksandr.sett
Collaborator

This does not solve the main problem... "newest" railing tools is very primitive and not work together with "existing". I think it is necessary not to supplementing existing tools, but to create completely new ones.

jmcouffin
Contributor

aleksandr.sett wrote:

I think it is necessary not to supplementing existing tools, but to create completely new ones.

I agree 100%

RyanBradley_JACOBS
Contributor

The railing tool is just sooooo bad. Railings are used on EVERY SINGLE PROJECT and they are disastrously difficult to manipulate. Autodesk ought to be ashamed of themselves. Autodesk, stop fluffing around with prettying up user interfaces and cloud computing etc and fix the basic, common problems that users have been continuously barking for for years. Shame, shame, shame.

ADuquet
Participant

More than 2 years since the post, and still no progress made in the last versions of Revit. And to add to the insult: I've been using the railing tool in Advance Steel recently (which is an autodesk product), and it just blows me away by his many ways to customize railing. Nothing in common with the tool in Revit. Advance Steel team should work with the Revit team for "knowledge transfer" !  And so on for the stairs! 😉

rodrigo.bezerra
Advisor

If not start and finish parameters, why not at least calculate spacing from the sketch path segments only, instead of the whole handrail? Makes absolutely no sense at all to throw automatically a support instance at start of a handrail that is returning to the wall or the floor. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report