Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full dark theme

Full dark theme

Revit currently only has the ability through Options>Graphics to change the color of the background which in a small way allows for reduced eye strain but it leaves the browsers etc in white so it is only a part solution.,

as Autodesk did very well with AutoCAD. Thanks for consideration

176 Comments
kanigraphic
Explorer

Hello @kimberly.fuhrman 

it means right now available in Revit 2023? or

Best regards

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @kanigraphic ,

This item has been added to our public roadmap (link in my previous post) which shows what is currently in development. When/If it is added to a release, it will then be marked as "Implemented." There is no timeline that I can give for that to happen. 

Hope this helps!

-Kimberly

jab6GQXB
Observer

@Eslam_Sayed4 years since you made the post and it is happening, Congratulation! 

@kimberly.fuhrman awesome! What is the timeframe? 

Eslam_Sayed
Participant

@jab6GQXB 

We aged for this moment 👴😂

@kimberly.fuhrman 

Thanks, autodesk do best 👌🏼 

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@jab6GQXB ,

We are unable specify a timeframe for implementation. Keep hanging in there!

-Kimberly

camilageraldodias
Community Visitor

Due to my eye sensibility I cannot use Revit for long time I my laptop as it has everything white. 

Even set a dark background, doesn't work as wall the windows are light.

Please, just make the dark background as in Autocad.

Thank you

I vote for dark mode.

Janek.hmc
Participant

How many years has it been? Autodesk does not care about it's customers, get used to it.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

@Janek.hmc , while I understand that there are reasons to be frustrated because we all want things to move faster, I strongly, at my very core, disagree with the statement that Autodesk doesn't care its customers. Normally I'd let it go and hope sharing your feedback made you feel better, but I guess it's a special Friday 🙂 As an employee of Autodesk for many years, I can tell you all the people I interact with on a daily basis are doing their best to create products that reflect the feedback that we get from our customers and make the most positive impact on our customers' work. This isn't always easy and a lot of the time things that seem like they're just a flip of a switch are actually difficult to accomplish. This idea happens to be one of those things. We have not been able to do it to date not because we don't understand or don't care, it's because we've been trying to figure out how to make the right tradeoffs to fit it into the roadmap. If we do this, it means we can't do something else. It will take a huge amount of work to update the many UIs that are involved, but the good news is that we've added it our roadmap as Kimberly mentioned in a previous comment. There were also some questions about timing above. Unfortunately, as usual, we can't answer those - there are accounting regulations that prevent us from sharing that information. We appreciate your patience and encourage all of you to get more involved with our development teams by joining the Revit Preview (our beta program). You can do so by emailing revit.preview.access@autodesk.com. Thanks and have a great weekend!

smichaudN26PG
Enthusiast

While I have vented (and repost here periodically) I can't stress enough that our industry is a community with many moving parts and priorities. At the end of the day a color scheme for an application is priority 99 for me and my firm.

Do I want it ASAP? Yes.

Will it Stop me from getting work done due to a limit in the software? No. 

It wasn't until I started to make Add-ins at my frim for 5 Disciplines in 6+ client practices that I realized the complexity to making tools work for such vast use cases. We would much rather have higher priority items that affect production output taken care of. (IE the Plumbing Equipment Category in 2023 or The Path of Travel Tool and Dynamo Improvements). 

Being proactive in the forms is import or as @sasha.crotty points out the Preview Access is a way to get further involved. (But we can be positive in the forms, Autodesk Employees are people in our field too) Because Hey @kimberly.fuhrman points out that its now on the RoadMap! Progress has been made and our voice on this thread has been heard

PS: If there is a eyesight issues are a large issue preventing a user from running Revit remember Operating Systems (OS) do have color Inversion Tools / Color Blind tools to filter the screen outputs

Excited to see a preview of the feature in the next few months!

tnieves
Participant

I hope we can finally see this done… don’t know if I even have anymore apps that don’t have a dark mode!

tnieves
Participant

In addition to dark mode it would be nice to have the “glow” effect on selected items like AutoCAD. It’s helpful for visually impaired.

raxmatullo_98
Community Visitor

Dark mode for an architect who works night time of day. I vote dark theme!

Alan_Pinho
Collaborator

I believe that the dark theme is necessary for the sake of users' health, a light color palette like the Revit interface currently generates discomfort and negatively affects the quality of vision for those who adopt this product as a construction modeling tool.
Nowadays it must be torture for anyone who suffers from light sensitivity.

Hopefully we can soon implement an efficient dark theme possibility, as the theme option currently seems like a very bad joke. 😅

Alan_Pinho
Collaborator

Alan_Pinho_0-1657657283318.jpeg

An example of how the dark-themed Revit interface can be made more pleasant, this image was quickly edited in PhotoShop for example.

The other views could be made dark while preserving the colors of the model elements and edges when viewed in wireframe.
On the sheets, to present the closest result of the prints, they could remain with the background in white.

Explorer
Ι agree, for sheets it could be white, the important thing is to give the
users the customisation options, like in Autocad, to be able to change any
colour you want.
faisFEl
Community Visitor

Introduce dark theme today! I do not want to ruin my eyes and wear high power spectacles

smichaudN26PG
Enthusiast

@Alan_Pinho per your photo shop I used rgb (160, 160, 160) and did it with some api code from my Revit Addin. While I don't see a quick way to do it to the Dockable Panes (Properties, Project Browsers etc) There is some ability for Addin Developers to use some of the existing public API for this I believe. 

The Building Coder had a post on it a few years go here. While I know not every Revit user codes Addins or can use macros/dynamo, maybe I will make a simple Addin that lets a user give a rgb color in a settings file and at launch it sets the color of a few core areas that can be done for now. If there is interest and that my work load allows.

Sounds Like Autodesk has moved this to their radar as well. 🙃 Blog post by Autodesk on the Public roadmap with a hint that "Dark Theme" is on their radar 

Revit Soft Dark Mode.png 

mcp202
Community Visitor

This would be a game changer!!! Please consider this change so Revit can be easy on the eyes like Autocad!!

cmerloEXWAB
Explorer

This Suggestion was created over 4 years ago and had been the number 1 most requested feature across almost every software and operating system on the market. Why hasn't this been developed? Seems like a pretty basic implementation, after-all its just adjusting the color codes for the parts of the software that aren't effected by the current "dark" (hilariously little light grey is created) mode. IDK why this software is so expensive as a subscription if there are so few updates to aesthetic and features. 

Alan_Pinho
Collaborator

@smichaudN26PG 

I would love a way to leave a dark theme, even if it is not an option, it would help a lot and would be something very accepted by everyone.

I don't know how to program and I really want to learn, but I don't have a channel or know where to start to have a better and quieter learning path.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report