Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full dark theme

Full dark theme

Revit currently only has the ability through Options>Graphics to change the color of the background which in a small way allows for reduced eye strain but it leaves the browsers etc in white so it is only a part solution.,

as Autodesk did very well with AutoCAD. Thanks for consideration

176 Comments
tnieves
Participant

@dennis_collin 

While I agree there are way higher priority items, honestly at this point I am not convinced we will get any major improvements without a completely fresh "revit 2.0". So much of revit is showing it's age and so many of it's features have been improved upon by other software over the years. (unfortunately not in architecture) I have about 40 pages of ideas and features I would like to see implemented in architectural design software. Not sure if it's because I'm a BIM manager or because i somehow think one day I could get them implemented. I've seriously considered starting a kickstarter to see if I could get funding to create a new program but realistically it's unlikely anyone can ever compete with autodesk, which is probably also the problem. I constantly have to explain to users the quirks of revit and how it can "almost" do so many things right. Take copy monitor for example, a tool to help keep disciplines coordinated on when things move and easily find and accept changes. Sounds amazing. Even more so that you can map your own icons so that bulky MEP icons can be slimmed down to look good on architectural plans. Only problem is it's NOT TWO WAY.... if I am using it for RCP's and I want to signify some elements should move. I SHOULD be able to move them on my copy monitored version and have that relay back to the consultants in some ways, even without cloud. So if for instance we exchange models, they should get a notification as well and accept or deny changes. However, in order for both partys to use it they would need to link each others versions and I'm not sure you can easily link existing families. So it really just becomes useful if MEP is fully coordinated already and we just want to keep our plans updated. In reality this seems to not always be the case and having a way to coordinate in two directions should be incorporated. (an updated interface to it would be helpfull too. its intimidating to non BIM experts when it pops up a warning that looks like any other revit warning. Point is, I feel like we all have long lists, and likely have shared ideas, but it takes Autodesk many years to implement them if at all. Despite the astronomical prices and pains of upgrades 

All that being said. I've seen a dark mode 3 years ago at an AU... not sure why it's still not incorporated. I'm not a developer but i've been learning some app design, and my theory is that the backend of it all is so outdated or not really the appropriate code language thus making it harder to implement some changes. Don't let me get started on the syncing structure and how outdated it seems compared to most other software that has adapted syncing. (granted the cloud is used for most newer syncing and cloud isn't always an option for some firms with gov clients) still. Even so syncing in the cloud for revit is pushed behind ANOTHER subscription. Just seems a LOT of innovation is missing and i'm not sure where the problem lies. In the software being too old, there not being enough developers working on it, or Autodesk just wanting to drip feed us as few new features as possible each year.

plawton5092
Advocate

1.  Provide a single button on a menu bar, to instantly toggle from black background to white.  Currently it's 7 mouse clicks each way.

2.  Allow different background colors for each model that is open in a single session of Revit.  This way, it's easier to tell one model from another.

Thank you

Tags (2)
j.borne
Explorer

I'm trying to fully switch from AutoCAD to Revit but I must admit the lack of a dark theme is a real issue for me as my eyes are killing me spending so many hours with a white background.

ismael.hernandez5FMUC
Community Visitor

j.borne,

Here is an organization worth 40.32 Billion Dollars as of January 2023 who just cannot develop a PROPER Revit DARK THEME (and I'm excluding the pathetic "dark mode" they want to claim is available).

Autodesk just doesn't care.  Otherwise it would have been done several billion dollars ago.  They've been saying for a very long time: "it's on our road map", which is like putting a bandaid on a broken femur.

jiri_polacek
Contributor

@ismael.hernandez5FMUC 

I could not agree more, it's pathetic including tonnes of other features which Autodesk could have implemented years ago... 

virtually everyone I speak to says the same... 

By the way, this particular thread has been started in 2017 (but there were others which Autodesk conveniently closed down already..)

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

I hate to interrupt the Autodesk bashing party, but I do want to point folks to Kimberly's reply earlier in this thread.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/full-dark-theme/idc-p/11308959/highlight/true#M45840

I'll note that "on the roadmap" is not a phrase we take lightly. While plans may always change, this statement is a good indication of the high importance of an area for development. This specific idea has only been on the roadmap for about 9 months and this is not the kind of feature that gets implemented in a month or two given the Revit's extensive UI.

As Kimberly's post points out, we invite you to join the Revit Preview (beta) and work collaboratively with our development teams to make Revit better. I think it's safe to say we all want that outcome, so let's make it happen.

jiri_polacek
Contributor

@sasha.crotty , thanks for your reply, however when you say you 'hate to interrupt Autodesk bashing party' it feels a bit patronising and really is not good enough.

I do not know if you have noticed but autodesk users are tired of asking over and over agian for features and improvements with no implementation in sight. This particular trhead was started in 2017, and you are saying that it is on the road map for 9 months..

You see the issue is that we all we pay top dollar for the software (which is fine by iteslf and I do not have issue with the fact) but we want to see lot more improvements and care, it sometimes looks like we are using an open source software, and when we ask for an improvement, Autodesk mosly says, that there is a 'workaround' (really?) or that there is an add-on... (user-made..)

This is really only tip of the iceberg, Sahsa, it goes accross the board with other features and other Autodesk products.

Regards, 

Jiri

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

Hi Jiri,

I apologize if it came of as patronizing - it was not intended that way. It was an attempt to inject some humor into a conversation which was IMO unfair to the hardworking folks at Autodesk. If you've ever met our product teams, you'll know that we live and breathe making better products for our customers. It's what we talk about every day and it's why I am here, very late, working to try and do just that. So when people say "Autodesk just doesn't care" and use words like "pathetic" it strikes a nerve. Yes, I could have ignored the email notifications for this thread or grown a thicker skin and not responded here today, but I'm a human being and not a corporation.

What I think many people don't realize, is that we are bound by regulatory reasons on what we can say because we're a publicly traded company. I'd love to tell you when feature X is coming, but I can't. All we can do, is to drop a hint or two and give you as much info as we can about what's actually a priority at any given time (aka on the roadmap). I'll mention that while this specific idea has been around for a while, if I'm recalling correctly, it actually wasn't very highly voted until the last couple of years - perhaps a reflection of the post pandemic world.

Regarding other ideas - I totally understand your frustration, there are many features that we can't get on the roadmap in any given release. There are, however, hundreds of features that do make it. I won't go into why prioritization is quite challenging given the broad customer base and Revit's extensive feature list as I've written about that before and we discussed it in one of the Inside the Factory Sessions recordings. But I will leave you with this thought, software is very much like a building. It is rare that a client gets 100% of what they may have wanted at the start of a project (I'm sure there are exceptions), so a good AEC professional will work with them to identify which are the most important requirements. I hope that we can work together to make that happen in our software too.

So to all of your reading this in your inbox. Please keep voting and know that we are listening, even if we don't always respond.

Thanks,
Sasha

jiri_polacek
Contributor

Hi @sasha.crotty 

I appreciate that you and the wider team work hard, and I did not want to offend you in any way. You have my sympathy as I'm sure you are a hard wokring person and passionate about your work, including your team. I'm sure we are on the same boat in that respect 🙂

It's just our frustration showing that we feel as if Autodesk as a company does not listen to us. We understand that the software is complex, however similar changes are possible on most of other platforms but in Autodesk, so the general opinion is that Autodesk teams are either understaffed and / or the corporate structure makes it hard to move things forward. The frustration is just too much on our side at this stage.

On a more positive note, I'm glad that you have described in little bit more detail the reasons why some of the Autodesk team's responses are brief, and that changes are not always as simple as they might seem at the first sight. 

It does not give us any pleasure to jsut 'shout from the sidelines', more understanding of the process would give everbody more comfort. I'd like to be more involved, even if just little bit 🙂

Thank you again for your response, I greatly appreciated it

Regards, 

Jiri

chrisnokesdesign
Explorer
I'm still going to focus on the users here and not the Autodesk team
members. Users are asking for a more eye friendly UI for Revit. Let's get
real here... Although Revit has many good points, the interface along with
its performance are obviously an issue. I have used Inventor for many
years and I love it! Smooth rotation, easy on the visual senses and can
handle good sized models. Revit on the other hand is slow, anti aliasing
on surface edges looks like an Atari video game and space mouse doesn't
function properly all the time. Yes, I have updated drivers. For me it's
the cost. I expect that for $2600.00 a year per seat, I will be getting
the best that Autodesk has to offer, because that's a bit expensive for
some of us. You made Alias look good now do the same for Revit and
everyone in this post will go away. Is this going to happen soon or
never? We may never know... Keep up the good work!
matthew.arundel
Observer

This is overdue by a number of years.  Sometimes ideas don't need to be voted for, they just fall under the assumption of common sense, especially when the idea is already widely used throughout the software industry.

DaveGilbertESa
Advocate

Yes, this is a good idea, and should have been an option in the first release. At this point, however, putting even a minute of effort into this is a great example of the phrase "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic".

You folks at Autodesk need to focus on two things, and two things only:

1. Somehow, keep the current version of Revit sputtering along well enough for users to actually get some work done until the software is rewritten from the ground up.

2. Rewrite the software from the ground up.

Are there any questions? Is there anything unclear about this? 

fernando.tristanKHEVM
Contributor

Es algo pesado para la vista estar con fondo blanco, creo que si estuviera la opcion de Dark Modo para hacer mas ligero el trabajo en el programa.

jbuttsA5VXL
Explorer

@justin.lipsey Voting for the "true" dark theme here.  My eyes, oh the horror! 🙂

tnievesP53K8
Enthusiast

Hey guy's I think it's finally coming in 2024.

tnievesP53K_0-1679673733909.png

For some reason an update for BIM interoperability is showing up early that mentions. I got a notification when trying to export a model check excel to make sure I was up to date, so I came here and noticed the latest update is from the future... notice the comment Support for Dark Mode in Revit... Fingers crossed it's finally incorperated. 

Ing_Kimmich
Explorer

@Anonymous

Embarrassing: 2023 and still no real dark mode.

jiri_polacek
Contributor

My estimate is year 2034 - 2035, but I cannot be sure.

It's clear that this feature is extremely hard to implement.. It's the same with the two-click crop of a view - unheard of, and impossible to implement..

Needless to say taht Autodesk is cleraly working 'very hard' to address all the UI issues. 

jiri_polacek
Contributor

Looks promising, so  in practice, we will be able to use this in about two years afer our current projects finish, or if or when all parties participating on each project agree to upgrade their projects to R2024,  wchich is very unlikely to happen in construction industry. 

BIM.Champ
Contributor

Yeah that's the frustrating but when some cool new features come out, we don't get to properly play with them until a shiney new project arrives on your desk that has the agreement to goto the latest version.

I've only just started working on 2023 projects this past month.

kanigraphic
Explorer

Hi there, is the full dark theme activated in revit 2024?

best regard

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report