Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formulas and Filters: Null Value OR Assumed Value, and Other Ideas

Formulas and Filters: Null Value OR Assumed Value, and Other Ideas

I'm doing a lot with view filters at the moment, and it is very frustrating.

If I'm filtering an integer parameter, I need to use two filters for the '0' (zero) value.

1. where integer = 0

2. where parameter has no value at all (parameter.HasValue = false)

1 is easy, two is not.

Similar things apply for String values

1. where string= "" (empty string - can be when a person has deleted the value)

Similar things apply for Double values

1. where double=0.0

Yes I know why this happens, no I don't care. Yes there are some workarounds, but the workarounds do not work with multiple Filter Rules daisy-chained together.

The issues persist in View Schedule filters.

The issues persist in the Revit API when filtering for parameter values (though this is easily dealt with).

I suggest an option such as 'Parameter has null or default value' or similar.

Additionally, it would be useful to choose the operator when applying multiple filters.

e.g. AND, OR, AND NOT, etc

It would also be helpful to be able to use other Filter Rules such as 'Parameter does not Exist', 'is not greater than', 'is not less than' etc. At present it is not possible to adequately link multiple Filter Rules to achieve all possible goals.

It would obviously make sense if there was a combined underlying logic to view filters and schedule filters. Named Filters?

The filters need to work adequately with linked models (without VG overrides).

Cheers,

-Matt

10 Comments
dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

Not quite sure what you're trying to filter, but when we have the possibility of a "triple binary" (True, False, not set), we use s double negative.

Rather than "equals false", we use "does not equal true"

Confusing to read, but that catches both the case where the value is set to false and the case where the value has not been set or does not exist.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

dtiemeyer
Advisor

Just want to add my 2c here. We really need some resolution to this 'null value' issue. Revit scheduling is so powerful until this point.

matthew_taylor
Advisor

@dtiemeyer Behold Revit 2019!

The filters have been revamped and reworked to be more flexible. I've not tried the filters yet, but they look limitless.

Juliaer
Participant

Need to solve Null Issue. Fed up with nonstop workarounds

MartinLucansky3580
Contributor

Hello, We have similar issue ... Duct area (and furhtermore, the duct insolation area) is computed from duct accessories, in whose families are parameters of width/height/depth  named at least by two ways (width or duct_width, height or duct_height, Length or L) and thus we have in sheet specification list more columns of more such parameters. Goal is to achieve computed values of area based on different named parameters (with same meaning) in just one column instead of more columns and this goal is simply destructed by the fact, that You cannot simply sum all the areas to one column. examine the equations for both kind of area : width*height=A1  and duct_width*duct_height and in final column i need value  A1 + A2

thus in parameter made by formula may be prepared: (width*height)+(duct_width*duct_height). 

But the grand problem is, that each result based on equation which is based on non-existing parameters, determines whole result as "non-existing" and it gives an empty cell. 

Of course there is solution: create in each duct accessory parameters the "other" parameter which not exist there, and it raises value of parameter as number 0.0 .. but this is not what i want : to waste time by creating new unused parameters in dozens of families in my BIM model ! 

i want to just sum all possible values and the other non-existing result simply ignore with some rule :

if parameters on which is based the result not exists, simply do not account it to final result, or:

if parameter not exist (in particular family), then simply define it as 0 or 1 (according another rule) .   this brings further to the computation A1 + A2 possible result, e.g.   

256 + 0 = 256  (which is final desired result)

instead of 

256 + null = null  (which is not what we want)

It is a grand shame for Autodesk that in Revit software tool so sophisticated such Revit are such dumb bugs and such lack of functionality still exists !!!  Now still i feel angry when need to eat hours of editing of families to update their parameters which simply could be avoided to implement higher logic with datamanagement within the schedule data !

simiral problem like in post here: Schedules quantitiy problem: Calculated Value = null + value

Hi there,

I had the same type of issue, when I want to make references to a possibly null value in my schedule, the entire formula comes with a null value which is a shame. 

So I think that you should reconsider tackling this problem. 

Thank you and have a nice day,

Abdelhakim

ebiesingerKWR5M
Participant

Yes this is an issue that needs to be fixed

Xapod
Enthusiast

This is still an issue that needs to be adressed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report