Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra warning breaking Family's

Extra warning breaking Family's

When a family has constraints that are referencing geometry instead of reference plains, and users are (for whatever reason) opening these from within a project, the user is warned that this may cause unreliable family's and presented with an option to remove those constraints. 

However, in case of parametric build family's where these contstraints are bound to parameters (and thus will change the family as intended!) removing these constraints will definitely break the family.

There should be an explanation/warning for this as they way it is now formulated will encourage users to remove them as they are not aware about possible consequense in doing so.

6 Comments
mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

Build the families correctly and this wouldn't be an issue. Or don't download free families from the internet and build them yourselves. Either way, a well built family doesn't do this.

j_feeke
Enthusiast
That is besides the point. The issue is that they will be broken without warning.
Also, there can be well build family's that do have (some) constraints bound to other geometry as it would require extra planes and formula's which would make the family unnecessary complex.
By the way: I build the family's: https://solid-air.nl/bim/
mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

Its not beside the point. Use additional reference planes and build the families correctly.

j_feeke
Enthusiast
The issue is that it will break a family that will work perfectly, without a novice user knowing why. I have no problem at all with the option itself. It is just not clarifying the user what REMOVING something the builder has added without warning that it WILL break it.
It's like deleting a piece of coding in software without a warning that the software will no longer work as intended. Whether there is a better way, cleaner way, more preferred way of coding is besides the point.
Adding the clarification would not harm anybody. Removing without warning will. But is you want to calculate 1+1 through 1+7-(2*3), be my guest.
mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

As someone who makes Revit families and makes them available on the internet, the burden is on you to make those families as user proof as possible. The fact is that you are cranking out bad families and demand that Autodesk make up for your shortcomings.

This is why I tell people not to download families off of the internet...

j_feeke
Enthusiast
It is very nice of you to have an opinion on my family's, where I am almost certain you did not even downloaded them.
But you are entitled to your opinion. And maybe in your field (architectural) it is common to only use self made familys.
To be clear: my family's are user proof (99% percent, as Revit luckily is pretty open and anybody can open a family and destroy it if they want).
The point I am making here, is not an valuation of family's and how they are made. Just an extra warning on doing something that can break an otherwise perfect working family (mine or anybody elses).
Let's leave at that, as this discussion is benefitting nobody.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report