Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Options API

Design Options API

Hello, I'd love to suggest and ask for the support from the community to provide an API for Design Options.  There is SO MUCH that can be done with Design Options from the development community to help make the usage easier for designers and open up doors to leverage Revit more and more in early design phases, for example, Interior Test Fits.  I'd suggest the following initial functionality:

• Create / Delete New Option Set
  • Create / Delete Option within Option Set
  • Rename Option Set
  • Rename Option
  • Switch Active Design Option in Active Design Option Dropdown
  • Set Primary Option with Option Set
  • Set Design Option for each option set in the Design Options Tab of Visibility/Graphic Overrides
  • Add and Remove objects from Design Options

Would love for other members of the community to chime in on other major areas this could be exposed in the API.

29 Comments
boostyourbim
Advocate

Existing API is very sparse. Please provide API access to everything for Options that is in the UI.

Tags (1)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes please sooner the better.

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes to API for design options and option sets.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just waiting for API for design options and option sets. Lets do it !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Voted Yes!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes
Anonymous
Not applicable

it will really help to create the options.

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes

Anonymous
Not applicable

giddy up.

devopsJ8WVJ
Explorer

Yes definitely. Allowing the ability to do this in Design Automation using the Revit API would let us solve a significant blocker in our code

josh_moore
Enthusiast

We need this please!  So much opportunity here!

narayanan.m
Participant

Design Option is awesome feature, but it requires API access really

jean-rene.desy
Explorer

Beign able to assign a design option to an element through the api.

Tags (2)
josh_moore
Enthusiast

Also:

• Move Object from Main Model to Design Option
  • Move Object out of Design Option into Main Model
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently Revit API only supports deleting Design Options and their Sets. I would be interested in seeing improvements for all the others design option operations.

//Select all Design Options Sets and Design Options
finalCollector = new FilteredElementCollector(doc);
finalCollector.OfCategory(BuiltInCategory.OST_DesignOptions);
finalCollector.UnionWith((new FilteredElementCollector(doc)).OfCategory(BuiltInCategory.OST_DesignOptionSets));
ElementIDs = finalCollector.ToElementIds();
//Deleting Elements
using (Transaction tx = new Transaction(doc))
{
tx.Start("Deleting all design options set and all design options");
XYZ translation = new XYZ();
doc.Delete(ElementIDs);
tx.Commit();
}

charl.pretorius
Contributor
This is sorely needed. Yesterday a colleague approached me for a solution to a very tedious task to create a bunch of design options in a few files and I told him to give me 30 mins, I'll quickly whip something up in Python. Low and behold, nothing! Zero API support! What could have been at most an hour's work, turned into a night's worth of manual, tedious clicking and typing and copying and pasting.
josh_moore
Enthusiast

Hey Autodesk, friendly bump here.  Looks like this item is one of the top in the ideas forum for Revit API improvements.  Can we get some love on this item?

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@josh_moore  We're here! 🙂 This is certainly a popular topic, and while votes are certainly important, it is not the only criteria used by our teams to determine implementation. Keep an eye on the Revit Public Roadmap  for what our teams are currently working on. This Inside the Factory session explains in detail the decision making process for improvements to Revit. I would also encourage you to join our Revit Preview Release (if you haven't already!) to find out the latest behind the scenes and provide feedback. Hope this helps!

-Kimberly

ldavisKYCMK
Community Visitor

+1 this would be very impactful.

devopsJ8WVJ
Explorer

yearly +1

Still waiting in hope 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report