Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cuttable vs Non-cuttable Families

Cuttable vs Non-cuttable Families

I would like all family categories to have a tick box option in the family properties under "Other" (same location as 'shared' & 'Cut with voids when loaded etc) to determine if the family is cuttable or not. I would like this control per family, not by category. 

As I understand it from what I have read in forums & responses by Autodesk, the reason some categories are cuttable & others aren't is in part due to maintaining performance of the model. That's fine, but I think we are past the days of slow machines. Revit is running as fast as it ever has these days, lets give this control to the users and do away with these often confusing rules. 

43 Comments
purvigirwin
Advocate

I know that you technically don't usually cut furniture, but sometimes you need to. Same goes for specialty equipment. It would be great if all families could just default to being able to be cut in sections or at the least have an option in the family that you could check or not check.

chrus1987
Community Visitor

I find it absurd that it is assumed that noone would ever want to put a section through a bath, diffuser, etc. I am forever having to make generic families that dont 'Discipline filter' due to this lack of family cutting.

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

Revit decides what families are cuttable or not. Most families are no cuttable, meaning they will not cut in sections or plans.

Since users have no control over this, our only option is to choose the wrong family when we want the family to cut, usually "Casework".

Cuttable.jpg

It would be nice to have a family checkbox to allow it to cut instead of being limited to Autodesk's decisions about what families should be cuttable or not.

Nurlan-A.
Advisor

It should be so: cuttable / non-cuttable / by category

Sahay_R
Mentor

Specialty Equipment (and a bunch of other categories) are just not cuttable. This makes section and interior elevation views read very poorly. Can all categories be just made cuttable?

Tags (1)
jkidder
Collaborator

It's very frustrating to have to pick incorrect families for objects just so they will display correctly in the model.  A number of elements end up as generic when they should be specialty equipment, furniture, etc.  This then leads to the need for extra filters to modify object visibility that would otherwise have been handled by category setting.

There are some times that you don't want families to cut, but often them not cutting creates confusion.  Please let users define whether or not there families, in ANY category, are cuttable or not!

SeckJ
Contributor

I would like to see this functionality as well.  We commonly have process mechanical equipment that spans more than one level.  Our current workaround is to break up the family using sub-categories.

cc4535
Enthusiast

Yes, this is absolutely a pain in the rear. I have so many models that I can not cut through and trying to schedule this equipment is impossible and let's not say anything about the presentation on drawings. OMG This is probably a few lines of code to change this, why not just do it or at least give us a radio button so that we can control this option ourselves.

tony.harwood
Enthusiast

@sarsenault2CCSS

Where did you get that graphic? It doesn't look correct. For instance, Generic Models and Curtain Panels are cuttable.

jkidder
Collaborator

@tony.harwood @sarsenault2CCSS

The graphic is for whether you can tell an element to show/not show when the family is cut, vs. whether a family is cuttable.  For example both casework and generic models  will cut, but casework I could have detail components indicating how the element is made and mark them as only being visible when the element is cut, while you can't with generic models. The graphic is from here

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

@tony.harwood

The Help file

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-3253EFCA-F38F-4086-9A4D-C873D8D04867

Generic families are famously NOT cuttable.

@cc4535Maybe they will use it a a feature for Revit 2031? 😛

tony.harwood
Enthusiast

They cut in my models. We have changed a lot of Specialty Equipment families to Generic just for that reason.

tony.harwood
Enthusiast
That screenshot up there just identifies whether a setting appears in the family editor or not. If you look in VG for a view there are clearly Cut Line and Pattern settings for Generic Models.
Brian.MitchellF8WYB
Contributor

Do they even realize they already did this for one type of family? Why not the rest?  That family is the structural connections.  Please jus simple add the control to all families.

Enable cutting in views.JPG

lionel.kai
Advisor

Making 3D CAD Links Cuttable would be a big help as well. The current workaround requires linking into an in-place Generic Model (which has issues with the 

CAD file linked into an In-Place family not respecting Shared Coordinates).

Viveka_CD
Autodesk Support

Posting this on behalf of @jegU5TJE

@jegU5TJE wrote:

Hi everybody,

Those anyone knows why sections can't cut through some families with certain family categories? 

For example, section can't cut through families with specialty equipment, furniture, or mechanical equipment categories, but can cut through families with casework category for example?

Thanks

purvigirwin
Advocate

Read the rest of the thread, @jegU5TJE

lionel.kai
Advisor

@jegU5TJE & @Viveka_CD: If the question is "why" then the answer is "just 'cuz" - as in "just because it's Revit" Smiley LOL (it doesn't need to make sense).

pieter5
Advisor

I'd like to see the functionality of "Enable cutting in views" for all families (component families AND inplace families).

pieter5
Advisor

Ran into another example of where having the option would be helpful: plumbing fixtures

- Toilets don't need to be cut

- Sinks do need to get cut (especially when you're detailing the casework)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report