Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centerline/Centreline Symbol in Dimensions should work on Linked Revit Elements

Centerline/Centreline Symbol in Dimensions should work on Linked Revit Elements

Revit Dimensions Types are unable to display the Centerline Symbol on linked elements. 

• For Example, I have setup a Structural Column with a "Center Left/Right" "Is Reference" Reference Plane.
  • I have configured my dimension type to display a centerline symbol when selecting centreline references.
  • If I load that Column into my host model, and dimension it, this symbol is displayed correctly.
  • If place this same column in another model and link into this file and dimension to it, it does not display the symbol.

Centreline Not Working.PNG

Please fix this bug.

8 Comments
ChrisGamble
Collaborator

Revit dimensions do not apply the centerline pattern to its witness lines when it is attached to a element in a link. Everyone warns against dimensioning to a link, but for certain disciplines and fields of designs, its necessary to dimension to links. Revit dimensions need the ability to apply the centerline pattern when dimension to links. This will be very useful and also begin to erase peoples fears of dimensioning to link. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please! This is a silly bug and causes headaches and extra work.
casquatch
Collaborator

This is an oversight with the dimension tool, it should just work as expected regardless of local or linked items. With ongoing project / site models, we are more and more linking projects together and setting up "master" models for entire buildings. The only way to do this now is just by placing the CL annotation where it's needed, which is extra work and can / will cause issues down the line if things change. 

@kimberly.fuhrman - Looks like you could probably combine this post in. I believe these are asking for the same functionality. 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/centerline-pattern-when-dimensioning-to-link/idi-p/906577...

Thanks!

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@casquatch ,

Absolutely! Thank you!

-Kimberly

andrew8QEC8
Advocate

Yeah, just ran into this problem today. Autodesk employees, can you get on top of this one, preferably by this Friday afternoon this week. Revit is suppose to be great for massive projects, and links are essential to work efficiently on them. I know programming side it is tricky to select things in a separate file that is linked or externally referenced. BIMoprh Nodes has some good packages for working with linked files. Maybe get some ideas from them on how to make this work?

aratcliffe_dwell
Observer

Still an issue, Autodesk should get on to fixing this, it has been 5 years since I became aware of this problem and I have only had more and more projects use linked models.

mcoxQ4S2V
Participant

This needs to be resolved.   A very annoying and problematic issue that should not be this aggravating.

drenL5229
Enthusiast

Still not resolved!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report