Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow nested shared families to report the 'level' parameter

Allow nested shared families to report the 'level' parameter

Currently a nested shared family will not report its level in properties or a schedule. The elevation is reported but it is irrelevant (-576' 4 7/8" for a device placed at 42"AFF, for example)

We use nested shared families to improve coordination between disciplines. As a security and low voltage consultant, we have placed a data device in other family categories (security, communication, etc) so that when a non-data device requiring a data connection is placed our data connection symbol appears on our data views. From here they can be circuited, tagged, and scheduled. However, the level parameter is null. This diminishes the usefulness of the schedule.

There are workarounds, each either requiring more effort or creating their own separate problems:

1. Manual coordination is so CAD and prone to error
  2. Placing two connectors within same family (and a subcategory or something to control symbol visibility) works but only the circuit of the primary connector is can be scheduled
  3. Place spaces or rooms and schedule the space:level or room:level parameter is probably the best option, except for areas where a room or space is not placed, like the exterior
11 Comments
fabiosato
Mentor

Hello,

If your nested family is work plane based, after inserting in the host, when you select the nested family, you have the Schedule Level parameter, if you didn't place the nested family in the Reference Plane, you will have the option to do so, then it will show its level in schedules.

GPnmulder
Advocate

I am really interested to know how you achieved this because I have not been able to do so in my testing (nor can Autodesk support).  https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles.... They recommended I submit this issue as a Revit idea.

Furthermore, I have been using face-based nested families (they also have the 'Schedule Level' parameter) so that nested generic annotations are visible in floor plan views. The trick to making that work is discussed here: https://andekan.com/annotationsymbols-for-lighting-fixtures-showing-in-plan/  

Any more information is appreciated!

GPnmulder
Advocate

Update: I am able to get the nested generic annotation of the nested shared family to be visible in floor plan using a work plane based family, so using face based families as I stated above may be unnecessary. However, I am still not able to get the nested shared family to report it's level.

pieter4
Advisor

The problem with this workaround is that my nested shared family needs to be face based to be practical. For example, we have a electrical outlet family that is used throughout the project (face based for easy placement).

We now want to nest this outlet in a workstation family. For the level to show up I have to change the facebased family to a workplane based but that brakes the family in the project unfortunately.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable

This has become even more important now that we can schedule the elevation of elements (revit 2020). We can also schedule the elevation of shared elements, but not the level they are referring to... not very practical.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not just level but also elevation parameter!

GPnmulder
Advocate

Update: I've slept since I first made this post but, the Level and Elevation from Level (2020+) is working for me. Maybe there was an update I missed? I can confirm it also works in 2019...but Elevation from Level is not available obviously.

We no longer use face based nested families. In my case, I have a data device that is level based/unhosted, work plane-based, and shared. It is placed on the ref level of the host family which is a security device and also level based/unhosted.

2019 screenshot:

GPnmulder_0-1634315518308.png

2020+ screenshot:

GPnmulder_1-1634315550442.png

mmarcarelliNX
Contributor

It seems like @Anonymous resolved this issue for traditional nested shared components. However, line based shared components still do not report a host or level. This would be a gamechanger if they could get this to work.

pieter4
Advisor

I definitely have a bunch of examples from projects in Revit 2022.1. where this shared nested families still don't have a level parameter, even though the nested families are not line based.

tom_durfee
Contributor

Well, I've done a whole project with Face-based nested families, trying to be clever nesting several components in one "Device Type" (TV1= display, mount, j-box, wallplate, RJ-45 ports, etc). However, some of these were downloads from manufactures to save time modeling (didn't save time entering Parameters... then I found DiRootsOne)...

On my "gimme everything" schedule, I've found a speaker family with a mount nested inside, which is not nested in an "assembly" in this instance...

This mount reports its level (not just Space:Level).

The mount family is Face based, no option to check Work Plane-Based, does not have Room Calculation Point checked (I wasn't bother counting these mounts since each speaker needs the same type).

The host speaker Host is blank (not face), and Work Plane-Based is not checked.

So how the heck does this little nested mount report its level?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report