Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow front/back and left/right visibility to be independent from each other

Allow front/back and left/right visibility to be independent from each other

For families that require 2D linework or masking in one direction only, or require different graphics in each view, it would be beneficial to have the option for front/back views to be independent, and left/right to be independent from each other. (Front, Back, Left, Right as separate tickboxes in 2D Visibility Settings, similar to the 3D Visibility Settings).

swatson5ZU8J_0-1706050979294.png

For example, Front elevation of a toilet has 2D masking and 2D linework, this is to simplify the graphics in view (as due to complex 3D form you don't want to see all the lines created on the 3D geometry), but as the 2D linework is visible front AND back, the 2D graphics can be seen on the opposite side of wall, especially if you have in-wall elements, like cisterns, plumbing or on some families, support structure, posts. Or you might just want to show part of the 2D opposite for coordination purposes (like an exclusion zone for the cistern). 

It would save a lot of time to be able to control the visibility of items in view/plane within the family environment directly without having to resort to complex work arounds within multiple project environments (like having to create unnecessary sub-categories and multiple template views and having to put the responsibility onto general users, who don't have the same level of understanding about these 'behind the scene' things, (nore should they, their expectation is the family should just 'work'.) This is a great time waster for all users and we are all for looking for improvements and efficiencies in our workflows.

Having the ability directly set up and control these graphics within the family environment would be a massive improvement to project workflow and model quality and consistency. 

4 Comments
fred3M2RA
Community Visitor

This will not only makes models clearer and more precise, but also saves time by reducing the need for workarounds. A great idea indeed

MichaelWolff
Advisor

I cannot think of a scenario when this would have been helpful, but I think it should be an option anyway. Maybe @swatson5ZU8J would care to paintbrush an example for us?

swatson5ZU8J
Explorer

Hi @MichaelWolff ,

Thank you for your comment.

To demonstrate my example regarding the toilet, see the below image: 

swatson5ZU8J_0-1706741272074.png

Other cases where having independent elevation views would be for vehicles (where fronts look different from backs) or furniture or specialty equipment that has distinct features on one side from another, where its preferred to use masking and 2D linework to display in documentation, because the 3D geometry is too busy and makes regenerating views too slow. 

_dalewfd
Enthusiast

My life (and Revit models) improved by a factor of about a million when I stopped doing the whole 2D regions and 2D linework thing a few years back. I suggest you do the same. You can spend a fraction of the time you would have spent on 2D detailing to just make the 3D model nicer (e.g. tangent curves will get rid of all those unwanted lines on your toilet). Clearances can be done as nested 3D components and super easy to control visibility project wide. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report