Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Ceilings and Floors to detect the room they are in

Allow Ceilings and Floors to detect the room they are in

Most objects in Revit can detect they room they are located in.

Ceilings can't.

I'd like to produce a schedule of ceilings within my project showing their type, location and area - unfortunately Revit can't do this.

This idea is for Ceilings to be able to find the room they are in, just the same as doors, windows, furniture etc.

(If the ceiling is in multiple rooms then return a list of the rooms or simply return the largest room with the ceiling).

14 Comments
sdbrownBECK
Enthusiast

It would be very helpful if ceilings and finish floors could know what room they are in, just like other families do.  If a ceiling served multiple rooms then it would be nice to see all the rooms that had that type of ceiling.  This would allow for more accurate scheduling of Finish information for interior architecture.

Keith_Wilkinson
Advisor

The fundamental problem here is the multiple room issue and keeping that consistent and controllable.... 

where a floor or ceiling is contained entirely within a room maybe that would work but quite honestly I think it needs a lot of careful consideration... 

Yien_Chao
Advisor

i would go with adding a parameter to ceiling.. then make a dynamo or python to get the room of the ceiling.

these is a method in the Revit API  : https://www.revitapidocs.com/2018.2/656d34c2-1e53-7278-ab83-fefaff7f40a4.htm

Kevin.Bell
Advisor

Agreed, there are work arounds like Dynamo etc - but really Revit should do this out-of-the-box...

sonicer
Collaborator

It can be problem if you create ceiling cross multiple rooms 

truels_ark
Participant

Rooms should be able to act as a system referring to components attached to / within it -  so that you can identify the room a floor covering object is placed in, or a ceiling; or a wall for that matter (even though they might touch multiple rooms).

Information attached to these objects should be able to flow both ways and thereby also drive geometry - the ceiling height above finished floor should be accessible to the room object; or that parameter could vice versa drive the ceiling height. A parameter value for the room could drive the geometry for a base board / skirting board family along the room / wall perimeter, stopping by openings, and so on.

We have projects that require a high degree of modeling / 3D information, and being able to automate this process would be very time saving. 

mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

I think this is one of those things a lot of people want but don't fully understand the ramifications. It assumes that all elements of a given category are uniform throughout a room. What if there are two different flooring types? What if the ceiling changes height on one side of the room? What if one wall is a different material from the others? While it would certainly be nice in a lot of instances, how does it work for the exceptions?

truels_ark
Participant

There’s no contradiction here - so a room can have two different flooring elements, or ceilings, so what? It’s the hierarchy that’s the point, first and foremost. I’d be happy to assign that semi-manually, too. 

mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

Its not necessarily a contradiction. There is just a lot of factors that are included here. What does Revit do IF there are two types of flooring? How does it split that information? Is there a singular answer that is clearly the best that everyone will use, or is it case by case? Even if they develop a system that works for 90% of cases, that system can't all of a sudden break apart if an atypical occurrence happens.

Automation is great for things that are standardized and repetitive. As soon as you have to think about it, it should no longer be automated.

truels_ark
Participant

Doesn’t have to be automatic, but obviously some smartness would be beneficial. 

mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

How it pulls that information has to be coded, so there is a level of automation whether its seen or not.

Again, this would be nice in the majority of situations, but those one's where its not helpful it could actually be detrimental. Just don't get your hopes up for this one.

MichaelWahl7184
Contributor

This would also allow us to get properly automated door tags based on room number instead of the sequential, manual or 'add in' that are the only options now.

Maxjig
Explorer

Currently there is no way of making rooms aware of what type of ceiling being placed in the model.

Our company produces schedules for every room, describing Wall finish, base finish, floor finish and ceiling etc.. This data is inserted in the room element. However, unfortunately there is no way of getting this data automaticly by placing modelled ceilings in the room. Generic models (for example) can have the option of being "room aware" by adding a room calculation point. This would be a good idéa for Floors and Ceilings aswell.

mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

This idea has come up more than a few times. I always say, it sounds good in theory, but what happens when there are multiple ceilings in a room? Which one is the room aware of?

There are ways to do this with Dynamo, and I don't think it should go beyond that, because there are probably dozens of different ways firms would want to gather and use this information, and Dynamo allows for that customization. If Autodesk chose a singular way for Revit to pull this information, it'd infuriate everyone else.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report