Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Process fail - Cannot save file

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
xu.teng
1725 Views, 29 Replies

Sync Process fail - Cannot save file

can anyone tell me what's wrong with the model, i need to try several times to sync. 

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
mariah.ferranti
in reply to: xu.teng

Hello @xu.teng ,

When this sharing violation happens, often the issue is with Antivirus blocking access to files Revit needs. 

Test turning off all antivirus/anti-malware and see if the issue persists. If this resolves the problem, you may be able to add these exceptions to prevent the issue when antivirus is turned back on: How to set up Antivirus (AV) exclusions to improve stability and performance of Autodesk software 

Message 3 of 30
xu.teng
in reply to: mariah.ferranti

I am not sure if it is because of the anti-virus software. I can sync after a couple of times tryout, if it is because the anti-virus software, I should be able to sync at all. Is it right?

Message 4 of 30
mariah.ferranti

Hello @xu.teng ,

Antivirus can cause this to happen infrequently, it won't necessarily happen every time. Just the other day I saw one user with the same issue, and it would generally happen on the third time syncing the file to central. They had to add these exceptions: How to set up Antivirus (AV) exclusions to improve stability and performance of Autodesk software | ... to their TrendMicro Antivirus to prevent the issue. 

Message 5 of 30
mariah.ferranti

Hello @xu.teng, I wanted to check in and see if you were able to test with the Antivirus turned off, did this get the file syncing properly? Feel free to select "Accept solution" if the information was helpful (This allows other users with the same issues to find it higher in search results), or reply back if you need more help!
Message 6 of 30
xu.teng

My it department people have made the changes. We are testing it now. I will let you know if it works.

Thank you for your help.

Xu

Message 7 of 30
mariah.ferranti

Hello @xu.teng ,

Awesome! Not a problem. Feel free to reply back if you need more help once testing is finished! 

Message 8 of 30
xu.teng

Hello Manager,

I still have the problem syncing. You can see it from the screen shot.

thanks

Message 9 of 30
mariah.ferranti

Hello @xu.teng ,

Was the antivirus/antimalware completely exited out when testing, or were exceptions added?  What type of antivirus are you using?

Message 10 of 30
xu.teng

They did all the things as solutions said and updated trend micro. It doesn't work.

Message 11 of 30
mariah.ferranti

Hello @xu.teng ,

Thank you for testing those out. We must be dealing with some other cause then. The other leading cause of this is spechail characters in the username. After looking at the error message, it looks like your Windows user name does contain ~ which could be stopping things up. Is the error only happening for you? If so, the username could be the issue. Try testing the hidden admin profile on the machine (This rules out any permissions or Windows profile errors): Enable the (Hidden) Administrator profile   to rule out your username. If it works there, you'll need a different Windows profile created with no special characters. 

If that doesn't solve the issue, are you able to provide the following info to try and narrow things down:

• Is this happening on one machine, or every machine
  • Is this happening on one file, or all files?
  • Was this previously working fine, and has suddenly started up?
  • If suddenly started being an issue, have there been any changes like Windows updates, add ins installed, or updates to the program installed?
  • Is the file using cloud worksharing, or file-based worksharing?
  • Test cleaning out the Windows Temp folder (It looks like a file in here is what Revit is attempting to access). How to delete temporary files in Windows
Message 12 of 30
xu.teng

Hi Manager,

It happens to all my colleagues. We are working on different projects. It works fine before, but it began since couple weeks ago. All the problems is cloud base worksharing. Nothing has been updated I can recall.

Message 13 of 30
mariah.ferranti

Hello @xu.teng ,

Do other colleagues have special characters in the username as well? If that's the company standard, it could make sense that everyone has the same special character. Were you able to test with that secondary windows profile to rule this out?

Message 14 of 30
mariah.ferranti

Hello @xu.teng ,

I wanted to check in and see if you were able to test that other windows profile, to avoid special characters/rule out Windows profile issues.  Did this help at all? 

Message 15 of 30
xu.teng

The temp files in windows has been cleaned up, and the problem is still there. the user name is without any special characters, only dot between names.

Message 16 of 30
mariah.ferranti

Hello @xu.teng ,

Thanks for that extra info! It looks like the screen shots and error now are a little different from your original error message. The original error message looks to fail at reloading latest, and the error showing is:

• Encountered a sharing violation while accessing C:\Users\XUFB~1.TEN\AppData\Local\Temp\{839D8325-0FDA-4DD3-9E65-92887D22F2F3}\2.

This is the path to a file in the temp folder, where the path is usually :\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\  it looks like your original username is XUFB~1.TEN, or for some reason Revit is reading it as that. Has the username been changed to remove the ~?

The new screen shots look like they don't expand on what file Revit is trying to access and getting a sharing violation, but it looks to be failing when saving locally instead of reloading latest. To see the full path for what file it's trying to access, we can check the Journal file: Revit: Location of journal files.  Are you able to upload a copy of this? This will also potentially tell us some other things that could be causing the issue. 

Message 17 of 30
xu.teng

the two problem both happens from  time to time. I already deleted the temp file, and i don't have a folder that have that strange name path.

Message 18 of 30
mariah.ferranti

That's very odd, it looks like the sync is failing because Revit is looking for a folder that does not exist on your machine then. Are you able upload a journal file from one of the failed syncs so we can try and see why this happensRevit: Location of journal files.

Message 19 of 30
xu.teng

Can you tell me where I can find the journal file. so I can upload one.

Message 20 of 30
mariah.ferranti

Hello @xu.teng ,

Journal files are TXT files (e.g. Journal.0001.txt) that can be used to troubleshoot technical problems with Revit® products. These files are stored in the following folder:

• %LOCALAPPDATA%\Autodesk\Revit\<Product name and release>\Journals

Example:

The default path for Revit 2018 would be:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2018\Journals

If you're using Revit 2018, you should be able to copy that exact path into any windows file explorer as the path, and hit enter to go. If you're using 2019, you could use:  C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2018\Journals  and so on. 

A new journal file is created each time that you launch Revit. The journal file with the highest number was created the last time that you launched Revit.  If you know exactly what time/session the error happened in you can try and match up timestamps, be sure to avoid any dump files, or worker log files (They have dump or dmp or worker log in the names).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report