Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked model will not stay room bounding

71 REPLIES 71
Message 1 of 72
tthor
8540 Views, 71 Replies

Linked model will not stay room bounding

I have a linked structural model which will not stay room bounding.  The link type parameter has the "room bounding" box checked but the link does not properly bound the rooms.  The individual elements within the linked model also show the "room bounding" parameter box checked.  We are constantly getting warnings that rooms are in the same enclosed region or not enclosed due to columns and foundation walls losing the bounding properties.

We can edit the link room bounding parameter by toggling it off/on to reset the bounding properties, but this is only a temporary fix.  Periodically it will lose the room bounding during synchronizing or reload latest.  I've since removed and reloaded the linked model, but this only temporarily fixed the problem similar to toggling the room bounding box on/off.

We recently upgraded from Revit 2016 to 2017 in C4R which is when this issues started.

Does anyone know of a fix for this issue?  Any thoughts on what might be causing it?

Thank you,

Tim

71 REPLIES 71
Message 61 of 72
RSomppi
in reply to: JF.K

Is this link being updated prior to the room bounding being turned off? Any clues as to what is being done in your model prior to it being turned off?

Message 62 of 72
JF.K
in reply to: RSomppi

@RSomppithank you for the reply.

The linked model is not being updated actively since the advisor's model is linked from Docs and it isn't Cloud Workshared. For this specific project we use it as one cloud use Dropbox. The advisor has access to our ACC environment through Docs and updates it weekly. On our side we reload the model to see its updated state.

@RSomppi wrote:

Any clues as to what is being done in your model prior to it being turned off?

Yes, as soon as someone synchronizes (or reloads latest) the problem arises and synchronization doesn't work.

synch_error.png

If I check ACC at the moment of synchronization, the linked model gets locked for 1 second and then automatically unlocks. Then I need to:

1. select OK or Cancel
  2. Re-synch
  3. After synch is done, the user has to select the linked revit model and do the ON/OFF workaround. This way the linked model is seen as room bounding again.

Every time someone synchronizes this happens which is extremely annoying.

I also noticed earlier that the linked model sometimes gets permanently locked and I need to unlock it manually from AAC.

Message 63 of 72
RSomppi
in reply to: tthor

Is the name of the link changing with the update process?

Message 64 of 72
JF.K

Assuming you are answering to my post:
No, that's a no-go within our BIM process. We keep the model names as they are setup from the beginning. If names need to change, then new models need to be uploaded from scratch since BIM360/ACC handles model renaming very poorly.
Message 65 of 72
RSomppi

@JF.K wrote:

@RSomppithank you for the reply.

For this specific project we use it as one cloud use Dropbox. The advisor has access to our ACC environment through Docs and updates it weekly. 

Every time someone synchronizes this happens which is extremely annoying.

I also noticed earlier that the linked model sometimes gets permanently locked and I need to unlock it manually from AAC.

I think the problem is with the update process. The above sentences don't make sense and are confusing. Can you clarify?

Message 66 of 72
RSomppi

@JF.K wrote:
BIM360/ACC handles model renaming very poorly.

That's only because renaming a model doesn't break the link to it. It is by design and for very good reason.

Message 67 of 72
JF.K

Ok let me try to clarify then.

The way we link the advisor model is described by the following link (option 2): "To link in other Revit models from Docs that aren't Cloud Workshared"

When we synchronize, the problem which I described above with pictures and bullet points starts.

On top of everything, sometimes one of the users locks automatically the linked advisor model for no apparent reason.

I agree with you about the source of the problem. Maybe I need to go step by step with the advisor to see how he/she uploads the model into our ACC platform. Meanwhile I opened a ticket to the autodesk support team. If there is a solution for this issue I will post it here so that someone else can benefit from it.

Message 68 of 72
RSomppi

My workflow when updating links is to rename the existing one and upload the new one with the appropriate existing name. Revit "follows" the renamed old link. Then I "Reload From" and target the updated model. Only after reloading, is it safe to delete the old model. If this process is not followed, Revit will think you are linking to a new model.

I use workshared cloud models for linking even if the consultant (Advisor) is sending us updates. This has been working for many projects. Having the links as workshared projects prevents unloading when one is opened.

Message 69 of 72
JF.K

@RSomppi  thank you for your input.

Normally, when using ACC/BIM360 either the whole team works in one cloud environment or we use bridge to connect different clouds.

When using ACC/BIM360 as a container for dropping 3rd party models (advisors) it seems that the setup needs to be done differently. If this is indeed an upload problem, your workflow should be the answer to our issues.

I will keep you posted.

Message 70 of 72
akhilanandBF7QN

Informative 👏.

Message 71 of 72
akhilanandBF7QN

Informative ‌‌.
Message 72 of 72
JF.K

Thank you for the suggestion. It worked quite well for us, although a bit of work is needed in order to update the model successfully.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report