Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wishlist for future releases of Revit Architecture

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
FinearcLtd
501 Views, 6 Replies

wishlist for future releases of Revit Architecture

The architects at my office are nagging me constantly about all the unresolved issues in Revit 2015 and so we formed this wish list to post and see if other architects share our frustration, so that we can join forces and send Autodesk a wakeup call: 1. Better control over stairs and stair detailing. We need to be able to control finish layers for solid concrete run, such as stucco. The stairs should have layers similar to walls. There should be control over layers of tread and risers. We should be able to control the stair run exposed edge in terms of detailing and finish. The stair materials should join with wall materials automatically.

1. Wall material layers should have more than 5 types. It would be better to use material strength factor from 1-100 so that we can create proper preferences for automatic joints.
  2. Walls, floors and ceilings should join correctly automatically!
  3. The display bug occurring when a linked Autocad file is present should be fixed!
  4. Short line limitation should be canceled or given such a small bottom limit so that one can draw all necessary details without absurd limitations. Same goes for creating filled regions.
  5. It should be possible to link a section box part of a project to an external Revit file for sake of interior design. For example, when it is necessary to design the interior of an appartment that is part of an appartment block project.

7.Visibility parameter should have the option to be controlled either per view or per project. Very important for using nested detail items in families.

1. Better control of graphic ordering and display for Autocad imports.
  2. Improvement for handrail tool to have more control over unique situations as well as creation of continuous multi story implementation.
  3. Ability to snap dimensions to floor layers in order to show core distances and so on.
  4. Ability to make spot elevation tags that show the concrete core level of a floor/ceilings as well as the topping level. Very important for technical drawings!!!!
  5. Certain families that are not cutable should be cutable, such as air teminals, since it is necessary for architectural detailing!
  6. It should be possible to assign tag leaders more than one colour per project. We create our own tags in various colours but the only way to match leader colour to the tag is to use view graphic overrides. Not an efficient way of work!
  7. The ability to create a wall that has a freeform shape in plan is needed. The only way to do that now is through in-place mass. Too cumbersome!
  8. Dimensioning should be automatic. It is silly that we need to dimension as we did in Autocad when all the data is there. Other BIM software allow you to choose an entire floor plan and it gets dimensioned at once. Autodesk are no less capable!
  9. Void masses in family building and also inside a project are invisible and are impossible to select for editing purposes. A new void mass automatically cuts everything it contains which, most of the time, has nothing to do with its real purpose. There should be a way to choose its target solid during its creation.
  10. Not having a visual interface for the family libraries as well as project nested ones, makes the use of them very unfriendly.
  11. Schedules of windows and doors should be able to extract door/window etc. sections and elevations into the tables automatically! It will save an enormous amount of time!
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: FinearcLtd

If you would like the functionality in Revit to be different, this link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group.

I encourage you to use the feedback link as our Development group is always interested and would like to hear your feedback directly, since you are better suited to state the business case for a feature request.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 3 of 7
FinearcLtd
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Doing it all the time. Does not seem to have an impact so far. None of my repeated requests has ever been given a solution in any of the past releases, nor in the 2016 release according to the list of improvements I have come across.
Thank you for your suggestion!

Architect Eyal Bleiweiss

Finearc Architects Ltd. www.fa-arch.com
Cellular 972-54-4215204 Tel 972-77-7867861/2
31a Hatchelet Street Hod Hasharon 4526461 Israel
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Revit will be okay if it had added landscape features to revit! Hardscape, border, planting...
Message 5 of 7
dgorsman

There's a couple of points we need to remember.

We are "just" users, while we may have an idea of where we want the product to go we have no direct say over where it will actually go.  That's in the hands of the management and to a lesser extent development teams.  At best we can provide them with good, reasonable cases with fully developed examples presented in a professional manner.  If after all that they are still not implemented then we have to accept that.

Development is done in a coordinated, organized fashion with plans outlined years in advance. Features that are being included in the latest release were added several years ago; even a popular idea submitted now is very unlikely to make it in for the next couple of releases.  Even less likely when releases fall on major updates of operating systems (e.g. Win 10 support) or hardware (4k/5k monitors come to mind).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 7
FinearcLtd
in reply to: dgorsman

we are not "just" users! we are The Users of this software, it was initially created to serve our professional needs. Anyway, I have given up on trying to influence the development team. We are gradually learning to use plugins to meet our needs. This post is closed as far as we are concerned.

Message 7 of 7
JasonLLINDNER

My 0.5 Cent (all I've got left for today)

@FinearcLtd Did it ever occure to you that most if not all your wishes are not to the liking of other users? When one wishes for an improvement one should have something which is really worth it! not bits and pieces which really if added, it is more likely that they dispoint the majority of users especially those who have other priorities in term of functionality.

I read the other day one guy proposing that Autodesk adds voice command to Revit!! WTH!! He wants to sit sip his coffee read a newspaper and dictate to Revit what to do?! or what?!

(No hard feelings and don't take it personal!) Some of your wishes I find them similar

@FinearcLtd wrote:

8. Dimensioning should be automatic. It is silly that we need to dimension as we did in Autocad when all the data is there. Other BIM software allow you to choose an entire floor plan and it gets dimensioned at once. Autodesk are no less capable!

Excuse me! but no I don't want Revit to dimension everything then I end up cleaning after it! The software works for me not the opposite! You can use other software and leave us Revit? 😄 (Joking on the last part)

@FinearcLtd wrote:

11. Schedules of windows and doors should be able to extract door/window etc. sections and elevations into the tables automatically! It will save an enormous amount of time!

When Revit gets to do that...No one will hire you ever again 🙂 think about it

@FinearcLtd wrote:

1. Wall material layers should have more than 5 types. It would be better to use material strength factor from 1-100 so that we can create proper preferences for automatic joints.

Can you give us two details from two projects  you wroked on as an example of a wall with 2x 5 layers of finishes (5 Inside/ 5 outside) + 5 at the core (ie: 15 layers)...Be realistic 1 to 100!!!

@FinearcLtd wrote:

7. The ability to create a wall that has a freeform shape in plan is needed. The only way to do that now is through in-place mass. Too cumbersome!

They gave you a tool you don't like it! you prefer the AutoCAD way!! although you consider in wish no. 8 that dimensioning levels similar to CAD is bad...confusing!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report