Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window Glass Surface Pattern not showing in certain instances in elevation

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
3053 Views, 14 Replies

Window Glass Surface Pattern not showing in certain instances in elevation

Hello Everyone,

we have a special family for a window on an old building, some instances of this family are not showing the blue surface pattern of its glass, while others do (so this means no filled region or masking region in the family and its not a visibility graphics override or anything of that kind).

now i figured out that this happen only if the window is inserted not in the middle of the wall but on the edge of it, and if it collides wit the hosting wall, the glass is most probably losing its material appearance (just like when you joining elements), yet the family is actually cutting the wall so this shouldn't happen, but unfortunately it does.

does anyone have a suggestion on how to show that without changing the inserting distance of the window to the wall?

Labels (4)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
martijn_pater
in reply to: Anonymous

Perhaps would be easier to see if you'd zip&share (part of the) file. Usually these things are related to whether or not elevation transparency is checked for the opening cut in the family, other then that it's a material setting (instance/type?)...

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: martijn_pater

Hello,

the family and the same type have many instances in the fassade, and the materiality is a type parameter and not an instance one.

most of these instances are showing correctly, and some of them are showing white when the glass inside the window, comes on the edge of the wall because its inserted on the interior and not in the center of the wall.

while the wall is cut by a void, this shouldn't happen.. in the other instances where the insertion is in the center of the wall or a bit inside, the windows are showing correctly.

i can't share a part of the project unfortunately.

Message 4 of 15
martijn_pater

Maybe share the family then to replicate. What happens if you uncheck the opening cut's elevation transparency in the family (if it isn't already / see ribbon when you have it selected, probably easiest to select all and use the selection filter to only select the opening cut)  ?

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Here is the family, there is no opening cut.
We have replaced that with a void, we needed an extra void to cut the insulation wall that comes as a seperate wall in front of the window.

Message 6 of 15
martijn_pater

You can use an opening cut, if you join these walls it will cut the insulation wall aswell. Not sure if that solves it but fyi.

Message 7 of 15
martijn_pater

Maybe check your far clip offset, it might be cutting the one and not the other glass panels.

Message 8 of 15
syman2000

Do you have multiple wall close to each other? What happen is when I move the window inward toward the wall, you will see the object being screened by the wall behind.multiple wall.pngwall.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: syman2000

I have two walls in front of each other, the family is place in the thicker one, and then with its void it will cut the second wall.

now, there is a parameter that defines the offset of the window in relation to the host wall

when this offset parameter changes to the point where the glass of the window, is on the same plane of the face of the host wall..the graphic will go corrupt and show a white pattern instead of the glass one.

Message 10 of 15
syman2000

Sometimes Revit does this where it doesn't understand the void host coming from the original window. So I would just add wall opening to the problematic window just to cut thru the thinner wall.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: syman2000

an opening cut is not possible in this window, it cuts the wall with two different widths on the exterior and the interior side, this is why we replaced that with two adjustable voids on both sides.

Message 12 of 15
martijn_pater

Did you look at increasing the far clip? And like I said before, you can use an opening cut and join walls to cut both. You can add void cuts to that if needed.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

yeah i looked at the far clip offset, and i checked every visibility option.

like i said in the previous comment, the opening cut doesn't work because the wall is not cut with one width but with two different widths on the inside and the outside.

you can see that in the attached detail.

Message 14 of 15
martijn_pater

Hmm, was pretty sure before it'd be the far clip... would be a lot easier to figure out by having a look at the file though...

BTW are you familiar with the wall closure property for window (&door) wall wrappings? You didn't specify any, so just wondering how you are making those...

Message 15 of 15
liam_reidy

Did you manage to find a solution?

I'm having the same issue aswell. 

was having a similar issue but i cleared the applied material in the existing phase filter and it fixed it. 

Although I feel your issue may be different as mine was a result of an accidental click. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report