Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Revit not give an option for Positioning when linking IFC files

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mcguirek
144 Views, 2 Replies

Why does Revit not give an option for Positioning when linking IFC files

When linking a Revit or CAD file into Revit you are given the option for Positioning by choosing the location you want from the drop-down list. However, when an IFC is linked you do not get the option to choose the positioning, and by default the IFC imports at Revit's Internal Origin resulting in an incorrect alignment. This is not an alignment issue with the IFC file since the correct reference coordinate system was chosen during the IFC export. This was found to be true when the IFC was appended in Navisworks and was in the correct coordinate space.

These are the options or workarounds I have produced so far:

1.) Create a false export coordinate system for the IFC export that would align to Revit's Internal Origin in relation to Revit's Shared or Project Base Point. The downside to this is the IFC will no longer be in the correct coordinate space when appended in Navisworks and will not work in our Field surveying equipment. So now I would need 2 IFCs one for Revit and one for Navis and the Field which creates additional work for the end user and the possibility for mistakes. 

2.) Keep the same IFC export at the correct coordinate system and then manually move the IFC inside of Revit. The downside to this is having to move and align the IFC files and trying to explain to other Revit users what should be done with the IFC. This also creates additional work for each user.   

3.) Autodesk adds the functionality that allows the user to choose the Positioning when linking IFC files in Revit. This is a win-win for all parties involved and Autodesk would forever be our Hero.  

4.) Any additional suggestions and work around that others have found are greatly appreciated.    

IFC link option dialog box in Revit - No Positioning option available. 

mcguirek_0-1698263411402.png

Revit link dialog box - With positioning option available. 

mcguirek_1-1698263515342.png

CAD link dialog box in Revit - With positioning option available. 

mcguirek_3-1698263589567.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
barthbradley
in reply to: mcguirek

Open IFC in Revit, Save and Link that saved IFC RVT into the Project.  

Message 3 of 3
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: mcguirek

I don't know why Revit does not give an option for Positioning when linking IFC files.

I agree with @barthbradley and I would add something:

Open the IFC, save as RVT. And now link the architectural model (or another one that is the reference) using center to center. Then in plan view, align the link in x and y direction with the geometry of the IFC/RVT. Then go to a section and align in the z direction. Then select the linked model and Acquire Coordinates from it. From now on the two models are related by shared coordinates. For Navisworks, you can export from the new RVT file as usual and all models should align.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators