Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHISH for Revit 2016

82 REPLIES 82
Message 1 of 83
K4rl33
18356 Views, 82 Replies

WHISH for Revit 2016

Dear Santa... 🙂

...for the next version of Revit, I would like to have a more user friendly iterface.

Coming from classical 3d modeler, I already usually work with a multi windows layout, but I think that a BIG step forward would be to orient the core of the program to a more flexible multi/windows interface, for example giving to the user the possibility to activate a window simply going through with the mouse.

This would allow to set up more than a window in the canavas,working in a easier way.

I suggest also to give a thinner look to the windows border, in order to put them in a layout like in 3dStudio Max or Rhino. 

Last of all, in my opinion, a big step forward would be to create an hybrid phylosophy from revit familes and autodesk layers, in order to group families into layers with a layer manager easy to access.

82 REPLIES 82
Message 21 of 83
K4rl33
in reply to: K4rl33

In my opinion the "filter" logic is not what a hardworker wants to have from a program.

It is extremely slow to operate on. And revit is a slow program. I essentially hate this fact. 

I think that the family logic is extremely good, because it gives order to all the geometry. It is a sort of "superior order", so good!

But for a daily work I prefer to have a "box logic", where I easily can take my objects and collect them into this layers , simply switching them on and off. 

For example, if I have a building with 3 façade options, I want to rapidly switch the three options and see what's the best one. 

Another great think would be to have the possibility to chain visibility/graphic options in different views...

Message 22 of 83
Anonymous

An improved revision interface to allow more flexibility in sheets sharing revisions rather than having to create a unique revision. Option to turn off revision clouds for certain sheets and not others.

Message 23 of 83
Anonymous

I am a BIM Manager in West Palm Beach Florida, I have been using Revit since January 2000 when Version 1.0 was released.

I would really hope someone at Autodesk with Authority and power read this. Just becuase you are a monopoly, you shouldn't forget about your userbase. Make Revit More Architect Friendy and usefull. I dont' even have time to taslk about required changes to Stair, Walls, Railings and walls.

1. Documentation:

1a. They should provide a comprehensive CSI Materformat file text file (why not make it into a Database) updated as per the latest, and each Div just like CSI Masterformat, as well as the detail components.

1b. Autodesk should provide a way to edit keynotes from within Revit without having to use 3rd Party softwarelike Keynote Manager. This is long overdue.

1.c Keynotes should allow for "multi-leader when similar objects are closed to together, for Example, if I am working on a column detail, and I need to show GWB and studs, I don't want to keep adding more keynotes with the same number to annotate a component or using what I called a "blank leader" just to keep adding more leaders.

1d. Revisions # and Sheet index should work and be linked, adding share parameters to input text manually should be a Bid no, not. for this.

1d. It should be easier to add sheets by presets groups and also print them in that same order without having to use plugin that don't work eigher.( it would be nice to have the sheed index organized as per at least the National CAD/BIM standard with added flexibility without having to manually add parameters to then, having to manually organized the sheets with parameters.

Links:

1. Dimensions should not get deleted just becuase a CAD file is reloaded, just because REvit deletes the previous instance and reloads a new one. Revit Dimensions are associative therefore the "link" funcionality needs to be fixed. It is unacceptable to use Ref Planes In REvit and/or Dimension  the drawing on AutoCAD to avoid losing Dimensions. Not all projects are full BIM projects. Most Civil engineer use CAD still and/or provide 2D CAD files.

I don't have time to continue on this, the list is endless, But documenting a project is super important, Building the model is one thing, but after Design development is completed comes Const. Documents. Therefore, focus on adding what is missing in Revit.

If Autodesk would only listen and work on the big items what user have been complaining for years and actually delivering actual solutions, then that would be really something to talk about.

Message 24 of 83
Anonymous

My biggest hope  is the following:

A filter option for DIMENSIONS ( the horror for many )

Why? 

Until now it was unessecary BUT i can't disable my dimensions without losing the description of my rebar !!!!

I tried everything and the only option is to filter every view with a selection filter

Sow better support for rebar with a simple selection filter for dimensions would be a very large help 2 me.

Greets from belgium

Mike

Message 25 of 83
Anonymous

I can support william. Autodesk is losing the connection to the user.

We are getting new version of Revit each year and there is no really change for architects in it.

Here a list what I wish for next version

- much better printing options including PDF (Most of the people out there work with PDF - even AutoCad has a direct PDF possibility or a window function to print something fast)

- much more possibilities in graphic - for example transparency, better picture possibilities

- new interface like i.e. Rhino...

- easier export and import with other programs (i.e.. Rhino...)

- A view can only be placed on one sheet, and cannot be used in multiple sheets at one time. Why? Give it free to everybody work like he wants!!!

- And finally change the spline function in a way, that is user friendly. Till now spline are not able close and if you change the endpoint the hole line changes.....Make it as easy as it is in Autocad sometimes it is allowed to copy good function from one programm to another.

Message 26 of 83
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

w-fish Wrote "We are getting new version of Revit each year and there is no really change for architects in it."

Totally agree,it is like Autodesk is stuck on this connectivity stuff. it is all one sided. we want and need features not only to connect but more and better tools for creating great content. Customizable interface. the GUI looks as if it was designed in the 90s and launched in the early 2000s.the GUI of 3ds Max 2015, Rhino, Autocad 2015, Final cut pro are great example of good GUIs.

Message 27 of 83
Anonymous

Interface overhaul would be a big wish item.  Not to mention there are so many UI inconsistencies in this program its maddening.

• Proper Multi-screen support.  Why for the love of god can we not drag a view window onto a second display in this year of our lord 2015?
  • The ability to drag a view (elevation, section, detail, etc.) directly from a view onto a sheet without having to find it in the project browser.  
  • A way to view all sheets at once would be amazing in some sort of tiled view, for example in Microsoft Power Point where you can view all your slides at once.
  • Why are the view windows stuck in this baby blue windows 98 style of window border? 
  • Ability to break off parts of the project browser into tabs, such as sheets or families.
  • Overall comment: take a lesson from Adobe in UI design.  Adobe figured out in 2007 with Photoshop CS3 that weren't constrained by the design language of the Windows UI manager.  They took it a step further with the next release of CS4 (2009) with a complete overhaul and custom window ui.  Source: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/evolution-of-photoshop/ 
  • I could go on forever but I wont.

Non UI related:

• Something that automatically gives depth to elevations or sections without having to manual override element's line weight or color.  It would add a scale factor to lineweights using the farclip distance as the scale and distance from view plane.
  • The shaft opening tool still remains useless on renovation projects with existing floors.
  • Better text editing options (AutoCAD is superior in this regard).  
  • Custom bullet/numbered list with ability to change bullet style to match a symbol.  
  • Keynotes...
  • Like OP stated hovering over a window to activate it would be nice

Again I could go on forever...

It seems like after the ribbon interface addition in 2010 the program has been stagnate in terms of features and refinement, with minor things thrown in here and there.  Energy analysis, adaptive components, rendering enhancements, cloud integration, antialiasing, sketchy lines, and massing enhancements are all somewhat big things I can think of, but nothing ground breaking in terms of actually creating and documenting architecture.

Message 28 of 83
Anonymous

Hello I'm an architect from Turkey.I think, Revit's worst missing is Beam and Floor or Column combination's PLASTER! If you put on REVIT 2016 the PLASTER SOLUTIONS, a lot of people is going to use Revit. At Turkey usually buildings are reinforced concrete and they don't have any ceiling. We must cover beam with plaster. The revit don't allow's it. That is big problem.... A lot of architectural office use the AllPlan so just.

PLASTER PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE (OUR COUNTRY MUNICIPALITY WANTS LIKE PICTURE)

Message 29 of 83
Anonymous

Hello,  I give One wote for ability to add different background- or textcolor to different viewtypes etc. in projectbrowser.

It would make scrolling and finding much more intuitive and faster!

Message 30 of 83
Anonymous

Perspective view without the need of setting up cameras

Message 31 of 83
Anonymous

YES THIS IS REALLY ESENCIAL FOR BIG PROJECTS
Message 32 of 83
dennismasselink

Duplicate Sheets should be very hulpfull!

Add a view more than once on sheets!

Aligntool or something for placing floor plans on the same place on different sheets.

Message 33 of 83
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
YES THIS IS REALLY ESENCIAL FOR BIG PROJECTS

Not only big projects, any 3D application needs it, as an architect I don't visualize in isometric view, a normal perspective with "free fly controls" camera would make it so much better, without the hassle of setting one or going through a process everytime I want to change the angle.

Is there a good reason this feature hasn't been implemented yet?

Autocad and Sketchup don't seem to have a problem with this.

Message 34 of 83
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello I'm an architect from Turkey.I think, Revit's worst missing is Beam and Floor or Column combination's PLASTER! If you put on REVIT 2016 the PLASTER SOLUTIONS, a lot of people is going to use Revit. At Turkey usually buildings are reinforced concrete and they don't have any ceiling. We must cover beam with plaster. The revit don't allow's it. That is big problem.... A lot of architectural office use the AllPlan so just.

PLASTER PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE (OUR COUNTRY MUNICIPALITY WANTS LIKE PICTURE)

Use architectural columns, if you are using structural, put an architectural plaster one on top of it...

Message 35 of 83
Anonymous

I don't say column... I say BEAM. Beam dont have any plaster. This is big problem for Turkey.

Message 36 of 83
IainEDenton

How about curtain wall mullions which join?

Message 37 of 83
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't say column... I say BEAM. Beam dont have any plaster. This is big problem for Turkey.

3 Solutions:

A) Load the Concrete-Rectangular Beam, duplicate it, change the material to a plaster, surround your beam with it.

http://s13.postimg.org/bbmpkzwef/screenshot_1424194967.jpg

http://s13.postimg.org/6tp06n5qf/screenshot_1424196208.jpg

B)Put plaster walls and ceilings (if under), or floors (if above) the beam

C) Create a beam from scratch (not that hard if you know how to make families).

Message 38 of 83
dennismasselink

Curtain Walls with more than one mullion, to make frame profiles with two materials en different shapes. See attachment.

You can also use it to draw a windows frame with a mounting frame. It would be very usefull.

Message 39 of 83
marcin
in reply to: IainEDenton

There is a website with a Revit wishlist - http://revit1.com/wishlist/ .

You can your own wish (after registration) and vote for wishes others
posted. The wishes with most votes go to the top of the list.
Message 40 of 83
Anonymous
in reply to: marcin

Will the devs see it? are they even taking into account our suggestions in here? 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators