Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is 'Place on Work Plane'? How do I create a rotation family?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
varun_sridharD9LQF
258 Views, 4 Replies

Where is 'Place on Work Plane'? How do I create a rotation family?

I am trying to create a rotation family, where I can load a generic model into it and then rotate it using and angle parameter. The image below is showing this. I am unable to host the door (generic model family) onto the Reference Line, and then align its axes to the RL, so that the door rotates along with it. It just keeps forcing me to 'remove constraints'. How do I fix this? 

I also noticed, there is no Modify->Place Component->Placement->Place on Work Plane. I tried Host->Pick New Host but it does not seem to be able to pick the Reference Line. I have attached a screenshot of a YouTube video I am referring to as well. I tried in both Revit LT 2025 as well as Revit LT 2024. Please help me out. 

Screenshot (12).pngScreenshot (14).png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

You should probably use Reference Planes instead of Reference Lines. Also note Lines cannot be used as a Host.

Rotating Ref Planes is a bit quirky - if you try different angles in the Family Editor, it will probably end up a mess. But once loaded into the project, it most of the times works out well.

Message 3 of 5

Set the active workplane before placing the nested family. If the nested family is placed on the reference line's workplane relative to where it should rotate you don't have to constrain it. Rotating the ref line will rotate the nested family too. Define the nested family so it's origin is defined where the rotation should occur. I'm not sure what you're trying to represent with this family.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the responses. I figured it out. By using a Face Based Generic Model family I am able to associate the door (generic model family) with the reference line and now it is rotation along with it.

Screenshot (15).png

Message 5 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: Simon_Weel

Using ref line for host is entirely possible and is the correct way to control the rotation.

To @varun_sridharD9LQF 

Tick Work plane box in the nested family.

When loading it in the main family,use TAB on the red line to highlight one of its plane to be the host.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators