Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Best what to setup coordination for a High Mountain Toposurface?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Caed9
403 Views, 5 Replies

What is the Best what to setup coordination for a High Mountain Toposurface?

I'm about to model a building in a mountain area. 

I made the toposurface based on a DWG File. The contour lines all have huge elevations we are talking 300 meters above Level 0. In the meantime The project Origin, Survey and project base point are at level zero, While the Whole Topography is way up there raging below 300 meters. 

What is the best way to approach this situation? Is it ok to leave it like that and model all the way up. I know that if I move the project basepoint all the way up I can Get a Level Zero for building Model by changing the Level type properties. Then there is the survey Point Clip Which I don't understand what is the difference from clipping or unclippling. I'm hesistant on moving all those coordination points and end up making a mess. 

On plan View all 3 coordination symbols are on the same point on the corner of the Property Perimeter. I know that the toposurface will elevate from the internal origin and I want to keep it like that just in case I need those references. 

Could you give me some advise on how to setup both the survey point's and Project basepoint's elevation, and how will the clipping work in this scenario. Thanks in Advance!

The following is how it looks on the elevation:

Revit Coordination in TopoGraphy.jpg 

And this other picture is how it looks on the plan views:

Revit Coordination in Plan View.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ToanDN
in reply to: Caed9

Since you already dreated the topo then just grab the topography and move it down where you want relative to your building. Move the clipped survey point the same distance.

If I were you, I  would do these steps from scratch:

• Link DWG auto center to center
  • Move it in an Elevation where you want it relative to your building 
  • Select the linked DWG and Acquire coordinates
  • Generate a topography from the linked DWG

That's it.  You won't need to manyally mess with Survey point and project base point at all.

Message 3 of 6
barthbradley

Is this Project that the Topo is in, the Architectural Planning Project or the Site Planning Project?

If the latter, leave the Topo where it is at and Link the Architectural Project into this Site Planning Project and move the Architectural Link/Building to its actual x,y,z position relative to the Topo and then Publish the Coordinates of the Site to the Architectural (optional).   

If the former - the Topo in the Architectural - do you know the actual Elevation of the Site Pad you are building on?  That would be the first thing you would need to know.  With that knowledge you would go to Elevation View, grab both the Toposurface and CLIPPED Survey Point and move them both down together to position them correctly relative to the Building.  For instance, if your Building Site Pad is 1000 ft. above Sea Level, you would move the Topo and SP down 1000 ft.   Afterwards and optionally, you could create a Level though the Survey Point and name is "Sea Level".   

BTW: Survey Point Marker AND it's Origin move together when the SP is Clipped.  When Unclipped, the SP Origin does not move. Only the Marker is moved.  Keep in mind that Levels, Contour Labels, Spot Elevations, etc. that report Elevations from Survey Point (Elevation Base), will be updated if you move the SP ORIGIN.  

Message 4 of 6
Caed9
in reply to: barthbradley

Well I wanted to model both the building and have the toposurface in the same Revit project File. I really don't know how to setup link models and align them with the coordination, but would like to give it a try. I'm currently on the project where the toposurface is created, I'm about to model a building in the same file. 

Let me analyze your reply thoroughly.  Ok so in that Case the best would be to select both the toposurface with the SP and move them down to align the  desired level on the toposurface range to the internal origin where the default template sets level 1. And the countour line label types can be modified to annotate from any of the coordinate entities(Survey Point). 

So At the end I will have everything like the opposite, Toposurface along the internal origin and project basepoint, while the Survey point will be located all the way down (minus 300 meters).  I still don't get the clip on the survey point and the marker, I will follow your advice and just leave it clipped as it is, so the tagging (spot elevation, contour tags) shows the real elevation. 

Thanks @barthbradley 

Message 5 of 6
Caed9
in reply to: ToanDN

So instead of moving the already made toposurface, delete it and move the DWG and align it to the Project origin (level 1 on default template). and then create the new toposurface from the new DWG location? It doesn't matter that the DWG has its own elevations?. 

Message 6 of 6
ToanDN

@Caed9 wrote:

So instead of moving the already made toposurface, delete it and move the DWG and align it to the Project origin (level 1 on default template). and then create the new toposurface from the new DWG location? It doesn't matter that the DWG has its own elevations?. 

Correct.  After moving the drawing down you acquire coordinates from it to bring the DWG true elevation to the Revit model shared coordinates.

When done, if you want to a level to report the true elevation then set the level type to Survey point instead of Project Base Point, same for Spot elevations and Topo contour annotations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators