Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the most efficient ways to use CONSTRAINTS? Best Constraint Methodology when drawing a model.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
282 Views, 1 Reply

What are the most efficient ways to use CONSTRAINTS? Best Constraint Methodology when drawing a model.

I am finding it very time consuming to change a detailed model and would love to set things up smarter. What is the best constraint methodology to follow when drawing projects? For example, when starting a model, do you always draw grid lines first and lock the major walls to them? And if you are adding extra constraints like locking floors to walls, what is the best way to go about that? Lock the floor to the walls or lock the floor to the grids? Someone once mentioned it's not good to lock elements to other elements and it's better to lock to grid lines. What is the best system to set up constraints in a model? Would love if someone had a reference or video on this to help us make smarter projects. (Like when we have to extend a whole project by a few feet, how do we save time without having to readjust every little element?)  What are some good procedures to follow to help make things easier in the long run?

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
syman2000
in reply to: Anonymous

I find constraining actually break your model easily than unconstrained them. Revit take account into those locking and it can slow your workflow. My advice is always setup grid appropriately. Then use the grid as guide to set your wall, floor or other objects. You can use reference plane. However too many may confuse you to which reference plane you want to choose

Usually I duplicate a level and draw in detail lines to set up my wall, floor, roof, stair and etc. I would dimension the detail lines so I have a reference them in the future. As well I find groups work really well in constraining. Often when you see wall shift, the entire object being shifted by user. This helps especially if you working with multiple users.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators