Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walls - Demolition Phase

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1473 Views, 11 Replies

Walls - Demolition Phase

Hi everyone,

i am currently drawind a demolition plan, i was wondering if there is a way to change the Creation and Demolition Phase of a wall before drawing it, in order to create it already with the correct settings. Revit doesn´t show this option in the Properties Menu while drawing. Any suggestion?

Thanks 🙂

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The phase of the elements that you model are based on the phase setting of the view.  If you draw walls in a view set to Existing then the walls will be existing.  You have to decide which walls are to be demolished though.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

yes exactly, I am able to draw in a specific  creation phase, but i can´t draw in a specific demolition phase. So i have to set the correct setting for demolition after creating any wall.

Message 4 of 12
RobDraw

Revit does not consider demolition a phase. It happens within other phases. It is an instance property that needs to be assigned after the element is created (in a phase).

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 5 of 12
loboarch

Like Rob said, Demolition is not a phase in Revit, it is a "state of being" for an element.  The act of demolishing something happens within a phase it is an action you take.  If you try and have a demolition phase in your list of phases, it is going to cause you nothing but grief. There is "existing" and "new construction" demo is something people do to existing stuff during the new construction phase. it is like the first thing one might do before anything else during new construction.

Maybe take a look at this help topic (and other around it in the Table of Contents).

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-BFB8B3D4-6BFB-429B-AF94-7731D9FBCC1F

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 12
RobDraw
in reply to: loboarch

IMHO, Revit's approach to demolition is counterintuitive to my experience. For me, demolition is a phase. One of my first projects had multiple construction and demolition phases. Revit's way of treating demolition does not fit into that type of job. I had to create multiple demolition phases. It was a headache and full of trail and error but the documents were almost indistinguishable from would have done in AutoCAD.

Rob

Message 7 of 12
loboarch
in reply to: RobDraw

I would agree, most of us tend to think about demolition as a phase onto itself. The sooner you divorce yourself from that thinking, the easier it becomes. Works pretty well once you wrap your head around what is happening.

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 8 of 12
RobDraw

@loboarch wrote:

I would agree, most of us tend to think about demolition as a phase onto itself. The sooner you divorce yourself from that thinking, the easier it becomes. Works pretty well once you wrap your head around what is happening.

It doesn't work in MEP projects that have multiple demolition and construction phases with temporary work. There is no getting your head around it for that scenario. It's probably easier for architectural, IDK.

Rob

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Well there is the option to create new phases for multi-phase projects, in which you demolish and build new in the relevant phase.  However, I have seen models with a specific demo phase and it becomes very difficult to work with.

Message 10 of 12
RobDraw

The problem in MEP is that once an element is demolished, it looses it's association with the system for the entire project. For example, an existing supply duct that gets demolished in new construction phase 2 will not be on a system in the prior phases. That is impossible to work with. Creating phases for demolition solved that issue and would actually help the OP. It is more complicated but it is more intuitive.

Rob

Message 11 of 12
loboarch

@RobDraw wrote:

It doesn't work in MEP projects that have multiple demolition and construction phases with temporary work. There is no getting your head around it for that scenario. It's probably easier for architectural, IDK.

Yes i would agree MEP does not really work. The phasing tools were created significantly before the MEP tools in Revit and were pretty much designed with only Architecture in mind.

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 12 of 12
RobDraw

That's not what I am saying. Phases work. Revit's demolition tool is overkill for MEP systems. We need a kinder gentler sledgehammer.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators