Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall visibility through roof

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
4318 Views, 11 Replies

Wall visibility through roof

I have a project which is an existing building we are renovating.  I phased the building as needed. 

To see walls through roof, I use the "Underlay" method.  However, when I attach the wall to the structure above, the wall disappears from my roof plan.  The weird thing is, it only happens to some of them.  If the wall is not attached, it does show up.  Now, this only happens when the Underlay Orientation is "Look Down".  When I "look up", my existing exterior walls don't show up at all but the new exterior walls do.  What am I doing wrong or what have I overlooked?  Or glitch?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

I believe elements touched by the view range extent will not show as Underlay. That explains why the walls attached to the structure above don't show. Try to adjust the roof plan view range and make sure the primary range bottom is above the top of those walls.
Message 3 of 12
barthbradley

Are the walls Top Constraint Connected or Unconnected. Try Connected.

...see "Elements Intersected by the Cut Plane" section in Link: 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/EN...

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks for the quick response.  This does work but I have different roof heights - sloped asphalt roof.  When I change the range and it goes above the lower roof, you can only see the top of roof for those areas.  

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Tried connecting.  Didn't help.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Message 6 of 12
ToanDN

You can increase View depth to capture the lowest roof. View depth doesn't affect Underlay elements.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

I've changed the view depth to to -50' and I still cannot see the lower walls through the roof.  I can see roof, but not walls.  The highest point on my building is 24'-0" (peak of roof).

My settings are:

Top (bearing level = 12'): 32'

Cut Plane: (bearing level = 12'): 30'

Bottom: 23' (above 1st floor) (above the highest wall - 22'-10)

Depth: (level below 1st floor): -50' and switched to unlimited and no joy.

Capture.JPG

Message 8 of 12
ToanDN

You may try to use Plan regions on the lower roof areas and play with their view range.

Can you share the file?

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Message 10 of 12
barthbradley

What's your View Phase Filter setting? Try "None".  

@Anonymous , can't you just attach the RVT?  

Message 11 of 12
ToanDN

Either Autodesk utilizes a potato for their server or our office is using a dial-up connection because it estimates 1 hour to download the file.
Message 12 of 12
ToanDN

Use a Plan region.

Annotation 2019-05-10 162157.pngAnnotation 2019-05-10 162304.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report