Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Hosted Family

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
708 Views, 8 Replies

Wall Hosted Family

I have created a wall hosted casework family but when I place the family it cuts into the surface of the wall. I have attached the family. What am I doing incorrectly?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
georgehobel
in reply to: Anonymous

Dont know what youre doing, but when I loaded your family into my model, it sits about 3/4" off the wall... not into the wall....the only issue, is now that its in my model, my clients are going to want it....

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Residential Building and Design
Message 3 of 9
barthbradley

You've got other issues with the family as well, e.g. light sources buried in solid geometry, voids not cutting anything, etc. 

My I suggest more of a BIM approach? Model this in a Project  using a combination of System and Loadable Families, and then Group it all together.  

Message 4 of 9
georgehobel
in reply to: barthbradley

i thought those were wasps nests....

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Residential Building and Design
Message 5 of 9
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

I have created a wall hosted casework family but when I place the family it cuts into the surface of the wall. I have attached the family. What am I doing incorrectly?

Change the wall thickness in the family and see that your casework will not move to match it.  You have to constrain the casework to the wall face reference plane. 

An easier/lazier way to fix it is to nest your family in another wall based family, then load that family in your project.

Message 6 of 9
barthbradley
in reply to: georgehobel

Wasp nests?  That one went right over my head.  

@Anonymous :  I examined you family a bit more, and I think you can fix it just by adding some constrains to it (e.g. aligning and locking geometries to Ref. Planes and placing Locked Dimensions.    

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Thank you. I was not the original builder of the family, but have stepped in to help make it useful. I think I may just start from scratch and build new. I am now having issues with the light fixtures and top valance/trim piece being visible in the floor plan even though they are above the cut plane. I even turned of lighting fixtures but they still remain visible. I will try constraining as suggested, and see if that helps. I did figure out if I change the wall thickness it acts properly, and I also noticed that sometimes when inserted it sits off the wall and not flush. Also running into that on another family--what causes this?

Thank you!

Message 8 of 9
barthbradley

FWIW: Bradley makes fully parametric stall/partition Revit families that you can download directly from their website.  Check out how they build theirs.  Might be helpful. 

https://www.bradleycorp.com/

Message 9 of 9
TobrienY68JL

I had to change the thickness of the wall in the family to match the thickness of the wall in the model to keep the family from burying into the wall in the model

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report