Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall heights will not change!

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
17082 Views, 10 Replies

Wall heights will not change!

I am VERY new to Revit, and I am having issues with not being able to change wall heights.

I drew some walls that were originally connected to the 15' ceiling, but now need to be only 8' high. In element properties, I changed the parameters to "unconnected" and "8'-0"," but the walls are still connected to the 15' ceiling! The element properties still say that they are 8' tall and unconnected, but they are clearly touching the ceiling when I look at them in section view.

I tried to do a search on this board, but the search function is worthless now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

**EDITED TO ADD: The walls in question, in section view, have arrows at the bases of the walls which can be dragged to make the bases of the walls higher, but there are no arrows at the tops of the walls that allows them to be dragged to make the wall shorter. Other walls in the same project have arrows at both the tops and the bases. Edited by: allison125 on Sep 25, 2008 3:09 PM
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I fixed the problem. I selected the walls, clicked "Top/Base: Detach" then "Detach All," and it solved the problem, although I have no idea why I had to do that when I had specified that they were unconnected and 8'-0" high. If someone could explain this, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
Message 3 of 11
dwills

"Unconnected" refers to a Wall with no top constraint. You then specify an "unconnected height" to set the Wall height as an offset from the base constraint. However, when a Wall is "attached" it overrides all other values that set the Wall height and attaches the Wall directly to some other compatible object, be it a Roof, a Floor, another Wall (i.e one sitting above), etc. The attachment function will glue the Wall to this object by projecting the Wall upwards (or downwards, depends on whether you are attaching top or base) until it hits the object. The detach command will release this function and allow the Wall constraint values to dictate it's height. See the help file for full details.

DW
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you very much for your response.
Message 5 of 11
bhavooksingh

I still can't figure it out,
Will you elaborate..?
Where is top-base detach..?

Message 6 of 11
derekE6JUZ

I am having the same issue with my walls.   I give them a base restraint but I am unable to change the top restraint from unconnected,

Any Ideas

Message 7 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: derekE6JUZ

No issue doing that for this copy.  They maybe attached to a floor slab above in your original model.  If that is the case, select the walls and choose Detach Top/Base from the ribbon, then Detach All first.  Then changing Top constraints will reflect on the wall heights.

Capture1.PNGCapture.PNG

Message 8 of 11
Corsten.Au

Hi,

Since you are new to Revit, pay little attention to all the Revit pop ups.

usually while editing the floor above, the following message pops up...and if you

click " Yes " to this , all the walls below will end up attaching to the floor...

so always click " No" to this message.. 

Imp notification.JPG

Cheers!

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 9 of 11
Sarasam

Well I think that the walls are attatched to the cieling that's why ur not being able to change their heights 

After creating a roof above the walls you always get this message 

Capture.PNG

Now to detach the walls click on them then you'll find this up:Capture.PNGclick on it after selecting the walls then click on the ceiling or roof and they'll be detached ! 🙂 

Message 10 of 11
rochelle.mfernandez

Omg! thanks so much for the solution. I faced the same issue. No idea why it happened like that though :(.
Message 11 of 11

if the "detach from top/base" doesnt do it- see the "detach all" button above the properties. That did it for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report