Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Finish and skirting

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
Arch.m.dawood
3302 Views, 27 Replies

Wall Finish and skirting

what the best way to make wall finish 

do a tybe of wall with all layers and skirting 

or make every layer as a type like type for brick and tybe for mortar and paint and skirting also as a type wall ??

because there is many way but i want the faster and the best one than don't make any problem later in the project 

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

There is no one method. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. However, in case the model will be used for advanced design stages. I prefer to make wall for the core and wall for each finish type. 

Imagine a room with 4 wall with same finish. This room shares one wall with 4 different rooms. Sometimes these 4 rooms will have different wall finishes. In that case, in my opinion, having separate walls for each finish will make it easier to apply. and easier to edit if a finish changes. That's a one simple case. some times, you have several finishes on one wall side.

check below quick sketch for reference.

Annotation 2020-01-04 100134.png

Mostafa Elashmawy
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 28

thank you eng-mostafa 

i am agree with you but i just want to be sure about using this method 

but what about skirting also good to use it with the same mmethod by make it a wall type or better to do it wall sweep ( i don't prefer it )

Message 4 of 28

It depends on the complexity of the project.

If you have many types of skirting with many types of finishes, I prefer to make each as a wall.

Mostafa Elashmawy
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 28

I think other members of the forum may advise their workflows too. May be they have better methods.

Mostafa Elashmawy

EESignature

Message 6 of 28

thank you 

and i will see if any member will offer another method better 

Message 7 of 28

@Arch.m.dawood wrote:

i will see if any member will offer another method better 

Your original question was “what the best way to make wall finish do a type of wall with all layers and skirting”.

By “skirting”, I think you might mean “wainscot”.

Sounds like you may be asking about Stacked Wall Types, which are assemblies of two or more subwalls of different heights and thicknesses that are stacked on top of each other.  

Start here and drill down:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/EN...

Message 8 of 28

exactly that's i mean 

but know i thine to make the core if the wall in a wall type ( Brick as example ) 

and the finish with skirting in a layer ( sand , mortar and paint with small skirting ) 

do you think this will be the better way to do it ??

Message 9 of 28

In my point of view,
LOD 200 & LOD 300 stage its okay to do in single wall with multi-layer. But after LOD 300 it will affect your project in some Ways. Example,

1.If the client ask you the Brick quantity in volume(cubic meter) you cannot able to take from that model.
(Most of the time they will ask area only. so that case we can take from Material take-off)

2.While doing Block work GA shop drawing if you wish to turn of the finish layer, you Can't.

3.It will Increase the types of wall because of the different finishes. and its confusing also.

4.The Block wall starts from the structural slab but wall finishes starts from floor finishes. So you cannot able to make like that in Multilayered.

So doing separate wall after LOD 300 Stages is always Better.

Message 10 of 28

thank you very much i think you explain every thing and sure know it better to do every layer in a single wall so i can edit it easy 

but what about skirting ?? wall sweep better or wall type ?

and can you help me to know about LOD more so what i need to be in LOD 300 or 400 what i need to do exactly in my model 

Message 11 of 28
RDAOU
in reply to: Arch.m.dawood

@Arch.m.dawood 

In my opinion wall types should be based on the type of assembly/construction and properties such as fire, smoke, radiation/explosion rating. Of course one can take the different finishes into consideration but one doesn't really need to over do it. For Finishes, one can always use Key schedules which normally can work up till DD/WD stage easily.

Not sure why one needs to create a designated type for the Core and a different type for each wall finish...I know some do that for load bearing/structural walls but I do not see how that offers more and/or any significant advantages over using one compound wall. Personally I prefer not to work with 3 walls (1 core and a finish wall on each side) when just 1 can deliver the same results. One should take into consideration that more elements => potentially more constraints => more prompts/errors/issues to troubleshoot and resolve when a change or amendment to the design comes. Needless to mention that this can also make lots of other tasks exhausting (phasing/families/hosting...etc)

Parts and Assemblies 2 quite useful and powerful tools which you can find on the ribbon

• For quantification: Convert walls and floors to Parts and use Parts Schedules which can give you almost all the information needed for the quantification each layer in the wall assembly. If one is still missing a few more parameters you can still use dynamo to extract the missing properties and write to shared parameters
  • For Finishes: ONE can split parts and assign different finishes to a wall without having to create a 2 wall types 

Walls.png

Skirting can be added to the wall assembly using Wall built in swipes and reveals but that calls for more wall types...I prefer to use those and would rather use a line based skirting element for several reasons

• Skirting is not part of the wall assembly
  • Skirting can vary a lot not just from room to room but even in one space => a wall type for each new skirting? that's not really practical
  • Wall type integrated sweeps and reveals are hard to control and are useless when it comes to quantification

The level of detail does not always have to do with adding/modeling more elements. It has more to do with the level of information provided in the model and how one extracts it...Always think "Less is More" and never clutter your model with unnecessary elements for purposes which can be resolved in much easier ways

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 12 of 28
Arch.m.dawood
in reply to: RDAOU

i am with you that in some project we don't need to make every thimg in wall type but at normal it reaaly effect exactly in the point that was in this comment 

(

1.If the client ask you the Brick quantity in volume(cubic meter) you cannot able to take from that model.
(Most of the time they will ask area only. so that case we can take from Material take-off)

2.While doing Block work GA shop drawing if you wish to turn of the finish layer, you Can't.

3.It will Increase the types of wall because of the different finishes. and its confusing also.

4.The Block wall starts from the structural slab but wall finishes starts from floor finishes. So you cannot able to make like that in Multilayered.

)

so i think for me it better really to use every layer in type wall ( brike in a wall type and finish with sand and mortar in wall type ) 

in skitrting i think now it also better to use type wall but i don't now because i will need to have it quantatity permetre not square metre 

Message 13 of 28

@Arch.m.dawood wrote:

exactly that's i mean 

but know i thine to make the core if the wall in a wall type ( Brick as example ) 

and the finish with skirting in a layer ( sand , mortar and paint with small skirting ) 

do you think this will be the better way to do it ??

I’m not sure how to answer your question, because you haven’t put it into any context. But Compound Walls are the fastest and easiest. Whether or not it’s “better” depends on context.

Message 14 of 28

it depend on the project and how many type of wall finish in your project 

Message 15 of 28
RDAOU

@Arch.m.dawood 

1. I believe u haven't taken a look at the parts schedule I posted in the earlier reply...you can take off volume area length width and height of any material in a single compound wall without creating multiple types. Look at it again those quantities are taken off from the  layers of 1 type compound wall!!!

Walls.png

2. Moreover, I am not sure who the source of your information is...but you can definitely turn off wall layers using filters...image below is a set of different walls converted to parts and a filter is applied to exclude all except the Blockwork!!! Yes you can do shopdrawing layouts for each layer of the wall assembly not just the finish!!! 

Parts filters.png

3. What will increase type of walls!!! I am telling u to use 1 type and you + the other 2 participants whant to use 3 type to substitute 1 meaning as per your solution...on a project which has 30 walls type you will get (give or take assuming some have common finishes) 50-60  types

4. Again … you can control from which level each layer starts!!! you do not need to have 3 types of walls joined in order to control the block to start from slab and plaster from screed!!! and you can do that in a multitude of ways easiest of which is to properly define the structural levels of the compound wall and compound floor so that finish joins to finish substrate to substrate and core to core...I don't believe I need to elaborate on other methodes!!

Wall join.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 16 of 28

@Arch.m.dawood wrote:

it depend on the project and how many type of wall finish in your project 

Is this comment or a question directed to me?  It has nothing to do with "how many type of wall finish in your project". It has more to do with your own capabilities.  Out of curiosity, have you ever built anything in Revit? Have you ever done any construction planning?   

Message 17 of 28

still no my counrty still working with Autocad a little working revit and i am trying to work with it 

about my post (Wall) i just think that is better for me to make many types i think you don't agree with that but it will give you to explain and solve all the problems that will happen when i will use one compenent wall

Message 18 of 28
Arch.m.dawood
in reply to: RDAOU

nice you explain for me alot of thing and all this point i can do it with one wall 

put the main problem in my work as example if we have 2 type of blockwork ( 20 and 15 thickness ) 

and every one of them have 3 finish ( Segma , Paint and Ceramic ) how many type of wall i neeed ( Wall 20 Paint two Side ) ( wall 20 Segma Two side ) ( wall 20 Ceramic two Side ) ( wall 20 Paint With Segma ) ( Wall 20 Paint With Ceramic )( wall 20 Ceramic with Segma ) and same with wall 15 cm 

so only for three finish i need to make 12 types of wall it so difficult to draw a plan with 12 diffrent type of floor 

and all of that and i did't talk yes about skirting i think if i will make it wall sweep with this method no problem 

Message 19 of 28

@Arch.m.dawood wrote:

about my post (Wall) i just think that is better for me to make many types i think you don't agree 

You think I don't agree? Huh? How did you get that impression from what I wrote? I’m dispassionate. If you think it is better for you to make many types, then go for it.  No need to ask us for permission.  

Message 20 of 28
RDAOU

@Arch.m.dawood 

On small project like yours: say total of 50 walls in the whole project

• As per your analogy you would be using 5 types but placing 150 instances in the model (assuming each requires 3 walls only). 
  • As per what I was suggesting you will end up with 12 types and 50 instances in the model.

Now imagine you are doing that on a 300 rooms 5 stars hotel project or a 1000 beds hospital!!! How will you manage when you end up with 20000 wall instances!!! Seriously...I am not sure how you and who ever is proposing such a workflow cannot see how tedious  using 1 type per wall material is.

BUT Please do whatever you believe suits you best...No one here is trying to convince you or others to take my recommendation. It is only my personal opinion; making 1 wall type for each type of material used in the wall is simply a 2D modeling mindset. Instead of using Revit and imitating AutoCAD's workflow, dump AutoCAD and make use of the functions and parametric interoperability Revit offers. ..I just hope you wont be asking in the future:

- what shall I do with the inserts!! all the OOTB don't work properly 

- Why do I have to do things manually when Revit is supposed to be the heaven of parametric design

- Why am I getting all those errors when I modify a slab

- ...and the other 100 questions you can find on this and other forums relating to the same topic

Good Luck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report