Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voids in group cutting base model elements

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
stephenTNU44
382 Views, 5 Replies

Voids in group cutting base model elements

Is there anyway to prevent the voids within groups cutting through other groups and base model generic elements? Every time I copy and rotate or simply copy a group, all of the voids tend to cut through generic models in the base model (ungrouped generic models).

I am going through each time and need to "Uncut" the geometry... a bit redundant.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ToanDN
in reply to: stephenTNU44

Make them different families and nest one (more simple family ) into the other (more complex family).

Message 3 of 6
stephenTNU44

I was concerned that would be the only answer. Very difficult to work across multiple families when I need the geometries to interact and align with one another in very intricate ways.

So there's no toggle switch anywhere that tells voids within groups to only cut geometry in their group? why would this not be the default??

Message 4 of 6
barthbradley

@stephenTNU44 wrote:

Is there anyway to prevent the voids within groups cutting through other groups and base model generic elements? Every time I copy and rotate or simply copy a group, all of the voids tend to cut through generic models in the base model (ungrouped generic models).

I am going through each time and need to "Uncut" the geometry... a bit redundant.

Something doesn't add up here.  Can you post the file?  

Message 5 of 6
stephenTNU44

Here it is - Every time I copy, or rotate/copy a group, the voids within will cut other separate groups and the base geometry

Message 6 of 6
ToanDN

@stephenTNU44 wrote:

Here it is - Every time I copy, or rotate/copy a group, the voids within will cut other separate groups and the base geometry

I definitely use a nested component for each of your model group.  It is much more easier to constrain them when they are nested.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report