Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Void visibility combinations

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1049 Views, 5 Replies

Void visibility combinations

Hi there, I know that this topic has already been discussed multiple times, but I have assured myself my case wasn't, so simpy saying:
I need to create windows (with VOIDS) in my sectional garage doors. I also need them to be optional for the user: by simple ticking (so Yes/No parameter). And surely I am aware of voids not being able to be invisible simply by say so.

I made a way round - assigned new parameters to Void Extrusion Start and End and created formulas that would control the distance between them: so if tick YES, I WANT MY WINDOWS!, the distance is long enough to cut through the panel and otherwise it would be close to 0, but never actually 0 (that might be a cause of my problem).

After uploading to the project the windows works as they should in physical model as well as in sections, floor plans or elevations. The only problem is after putting cursor on the object (like in the print screen below) I can still see the sketch of the void.

Eventually I could say - well, it is a nice tip for the user that he might actually change the settings as he wish and choose to have those windows, but this is not the perfect way.

ughhg, how to get rid of them!?

Anybody could help, please? ❤️

prntscr.png

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

I do not know how the family is created. Some possibilities

-Live with it

-Use different families for the two door types

-Use a (nested) panel one for with voids and one without

-Resize and move the voids (width and height) to a small area in the corner

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks for the reply,

I can't live with it, because it's still visible in the section...
So I decided to use your way and it's better (because the void is not in the object).

The formula looks like this:

prntscr2.png

I have highlighted the Extrusion formulas and in VISIBILITY section below you can see "Windows" ticked now.

This is how it looks when I use your advice of moving it away from the garage doors when it's not ticked (section):

prntscr3.png

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I have changed the width and height too to a really small box - that looks better, especially in 3D, but just to ask last time: is it seriously THE ONLY WAY?
Message 5 of 6
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

I named 4 possible 'solutions'. So no it is not the only way. I personally would use option two or three (separate families, or using nested panels)

However when I mention to move the voids had something different in mind. Resize the window so they are almost 0 and put them in the corner of the panel so they will be hardly visible Example of the concept

Voids.png

Attached the concept family in Revit 2017.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thank you for the example, I did it and it somehow works for now:)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report