Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visibility Parameters not functioning as expected

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
LukeSelvon
314 Views, 6 Replies

Visibility Parameters not functioning as expected

So I have a radiator family which has pattressing (for joinery quantity calculations). I want to show the patressing between studs with noggings to fix to. but i dont care where the studs are in the model as we quantify them with a wall formula.

So I created a pattress array family, containing nested ply and noggins which have sahred parameters for scheduling) and from that made a separate array family where I can control the stud spacing.

Both of these are then nested into the rad family.

When the rad is larger than the stud spacing I've got the arrayed partress to show (with its number and location controled by formula based on the rad size) and when the rad is less than the stud spacing the single pattress shows. I also want the user to be able to fully turn off the pattressing when the rad is on a masonry wall so the individual visibilites are controled by if/not and if/and formulas and the override is a simple yes/no.

Everything works in the family editor, the visibility parameters check and uncheck as required, and the nested objects are correctly assigned to their visibility parameters. BUT nothing turns off in view. When I use the preview visibility function in the family editor I get the unusual result of the pattressing that should be visible is selectable, but the one that should be invisible becomes its component parts (but still visible).

I tried messing with the "shared" check box in the nested families but that didnt help. I recreated the visibility parameters but that didnt do anything either. I wondered if I could get the functionality I want with only the arrayed pattress family but when I set the array to equal 1 I get errors, hence the two nested pattress families.

I've attached the family because you really need to see it, its too complext to fully describe here. I suspect its the complexity that causing the issue in some way but I cant figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
LukeSelvon
in reply to: LukeSelvon

ok. so I've solved this myself. but i'll put the solution here incase someone finds the post looking for the answer.

basically I had to make a visibility parameter in the nested families and then link that to its equivilany visibility parameter in the parent family. Then it all works. but my head hurts now

Message 3 of 7
barthbradley

@LukeSelvon wrote:

its too complex to fully describe here.

"its too complex to fully describe here"? No kidding! You're going to need to try though.    

Posting the family is good thing, but in this case, it's not helping my understanding.  It's a very complex family.  

Provide some screenshots and/or specific steps to replicate the issue(s) your are having.   

Message 4 of 7
LukeSelvon
in reply to: barthbradley

thanks for responding. I've actually worked it out though. all the complexity was was actually a red herring, I included it because i wasnt sure where the problem lay, so i figured the more info the better. The solution was to add the visibility in the nested families and then link them in the parent family. Its all working now 🙂

Message 5 of 7
mhiserZFHXS

This is how visibility parameters are expected to work. Nothing weird here.

Message 6 of 7
LukeSelvon
in reply to: mhiserZFHXS

I was asking the question because I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong. Not because I thought Revit was not working correctly. I was under the impression that was what this forum was for? If I've posted the question in the wrong location then I apologise. Either way, its solved now
Message 7 of 7
mhiserZFHXS

I understand. I just want to clarify that your fix wasn't a workaround or anything, and that is actually how it is intended to work. Just in case someone who doesn't know stumbles upon this.

Saying something "doesn't function as expected" implies that something is wrong with the program, like Revit is supposed to do x when I do y, and its not. It is functioning as expected.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators