Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View Range in Revit

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
JasonLLINDNER
6356 Views, 4 Replies

View Range in Revit

Good Evening Expert

I'm going to put it out straight...REVIT Help files sometimes makes no sense and some other times they get one confused! I thought I figured out what the view range settings are untill I wanted to show some foundations below ground.

That was when I hit the ? To go to help! I thought I new something but now I am actually lost! I even lost the floor in the process! And messed up the view range settings! And I cannot get my view back to where and how it used to be!

can someone explain to me please how those bottom range and view depth work? And how shall I get the friggen slabs back and show the foundations and get this REVIT to function NORMALLY for once 🙂

I'm really sorry for for the ranting but I looked over YouTube, Google and two books on REVIT to fix what Revit Help page got me to do but somehow nothing seems to work! Already saved the file and no .001.rvt are backed up! So if I don't fix it I am simply screwed 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
RDAOU
in reply to: JasonLLINDNER

Hey @JasonLLINDNER

I am not one of the EXPERTS! you addressed but I do hope this lengthy clarifications helps you better than Autodesk's Help Page.

Those View Range Settings are an added value options which Revit grants the Reviters to give them the ability and choice to show certain elements which are beyond the bottom clip. By default the bottom and the depth clipping planes are set to the same level.

• All elements/objects are concerned with these property settings.
  • Some very few element categories have a marginal exception which I am going to refer to as the 1.2m rule/buffer. On your plan view those exceptional elements will  always be visible (either as projections or as hidden lines if concealed behind objects) till 1.2m below the default Bottom Range clip plane & View Depth (bottom range and view depth are the same)  

Now consider we need to show some elements below/beyond the Grade Slab of Level 0 which has a default Bottom Range defined (at 0.00mm)... (say for example some services such as piping or cables or a pit or even a desk which you decided to bury below ground; ie: elements which are not considered so special to be an exception) BUT we don’t want to change the Bottom Range because if we do, some nonspecial elements among others will then be represented with Projection solid continuous lines!

• In such case one needs to change/adjust the View Depth clip to show those services/elements and subsequently have them represented by a line style called <Beyond> (typically has a dashed or dotted line style depending how you define it in Line Styles) NOTE: And Bottom Range stays where it was.

The Exceptions to the above rule are Floors (architectural and structural), stairs, and ramps category elements located down till 1.2 meters deep below the bottom of the primary range. Those elements will continue to be visible and are either represented with Projection lines or Hidden lines (if concealed behind a top visible element) till they fall outside the 1.2m range below the Bottom Range (which at the present moment is still by default at same level/height/depth as the View Depth). 

Once those special exceptional elements exist deeper than the 1.2m they will ultimately follow the same rule...

• ie: in such case; to show them on the plan view as dashed/dotted elements they need to be within/above the View Depth. Therefore we need to adjust the View Depth - deeper (while bottom range may remain where it was) for these elements to be drawn using the <Beyond> line style (dashed or dotted depending on how you define the <Beyond> line style.

Example:

Consider a floor slab (both architectural and structural) placed on Level 0. When you open a default template; the view range is set as follows:

• Top: 2300mm
  • Cut: 1200
  • Bottom: 0mm
  • Depth: 0mm

If one looks at the section; one will notices that the slab/floor is actually below the 0 level. ie: if it wouldn’t have been an exception; this slab should not show on this view because it is outside the Range (Both Bottom as well as the View Depth set at 0.00mm). But because it is an exceptional category of elements...it still shows as a projection. To better understand it... (Leave view range setting as per default values) Place a foundation next to the slab with T.O Foundation at 0.00mm for comparison

• In the properties panel change the Level Offset of the floor to -1000 : the floor still shows as a projection (continuous solid line – 1.2m Rule applies)
  • In the properties panel Change the Level Offset of the floor to -1500mm: the slab/floor will disappear (to show it as Beyond; one needs to re-set View Depth ie: the exceptional element is now treated like all other elements)

Back to the default settings of view range...

1. Place another slab at -1000mm below level 0 and straight under the initial floor slab mentioned above (to make it hidden in the Level 0 view): It WILL be visible; however represented by hidden lines because it is concealed below the floor slab placed at 0mm (ie: Rule of 1.2m exception still applies) – PS: Need to enable/show hidden lines in View Tab > Graphics panel
  2. Now place any normal unexceptional element (ex: a buried desk) below the default Bottom Range and View Depth (set currently at 0.00mm): the desk will not be visible (AT ALL - neither hidden nor beyond or projection)
    • To make it visible: you need to re-adjust the View Depth so that the desk falls within the View Depth and Bottom Range and to represent it with <Beyond> line style indicating that it is NOT a projection...Why not Bottom Range?
    • Because if we adjust the Bottom Range the ugly foundation to the side of the slab will show as a projection!

THE MISTERY OF THE VANISHING FLOORS...

FLOOR are special exceptional elements as mentioned above…BUT once they are transformed to parts. They disappear in the plan view because PARTS are normal nonspecial elements just like the buried desk mentioned above. Hence treated the same

To fix that you can do one of the following:

1. Either in the Properties Palette > Parts Visibility: set to “Show Both” or “Show Original”. (However, this will not allow you to work with the parts in the plan view still)
  2. OR…Adjust the View Depth as mentioned above and set it just below the floor slab (if you do not need to show any other element beyond the slab.
    1. If you want to show the Foundation too as dashed beyond the slab…lower the Depth View below the foundation.
    2. If you want to show the slab parts as projection: Lower the Bottom Range to the bottom of the slab…This will allow you to work with the parts split and paint and adjust surface…etc (don’t forget to re-set Parts Visibility to “Show Parts”)

Hopefully the above wasn't boring 🙂 see the screencast below (Revit Files are also attached)

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 5
JasonLLINDNER
in reply to: RDAOU

Many many thanks

Message 4 of 5

you can have a look at this article you fully understand the theory of revit view range : 

https://bimandbeam.com/2022/01/revit-view-range-html/ 

sothmanXCDYH_0-1676480666726.jpeg

Message 5 of 5
RobDraw
in reply to: souhayl_othman

Stop spamming the forums.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report